Spring bulb pics and talk: Part V

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

The time is here, and finally our autumn efforts are paying off and glorious blooms are chasing away winter's blues. Show off your lovelies here!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I planted about fifty pink and white spanish bluebells, and they are beginning to peek out. I'm pleased as punch. Hope to take pics soon.

Corte Madera, CA

i just got beamed here =))).

Corte Madera, CA

nery, just read about the agapanthus. i'll dig some out and send them your way. they bloom here up to november.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Still no signs of any green here, but today it was 48F, and felt like Spring!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I went out just before dark to get some pics, some daffodils were opening, or fully open while I wasn't looking. Had a windy day, mostly cloudy, but quite warm, around 52F.

kniphofia you will be seeing things pop up all over with those temps. I can almost see you smiling!

vossner I planted some pink, blue and white a few years ago, they are pretty but no white! There were a few white and bluebells around the tree, they will seed like mad if you don't take the heads off. They increase their bulbs as well Not sure if the blue ones are English bluebells, they are protected. I can see some crocus on the horizon too?

Steve you are the Hyacinth expert, any idea what mine is called, the blue one? it's turning a bit more lilac now, the stem end of the flowers are a greyish blue, not quite as bright as shown but very different.

mg did you have a good journey here? Glad to have given all some excitement.

Rip van Winkle

Thumbnail by wallaby1

These are fragrant

Thumbnail by wallaby1

These I have had a few years and were free with an order, most are Sun Disc, and some Tet a Tete have always been amongst them too. These tiny things are only 3-5" tall, the leaves are different to Tete a tete, the flower different. This is the first time this one has flowered, it could be Mite but I have only just discovered them so need to check it out.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

These tulips were supposed to be Pinocchio, a free gift, but I think they are Shakespeare, they sold them as well

Thumbnail by wallaby1

There are a couple with very mottled leaves never flowered yet, prob. Pinocchio

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Puschkinia libanotica, had them for 7 years, they just keep hanging in there.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

A nice big trumpet daffodil

Thumbnail by wallaby1

T. Johann Strauss wouldn't open today!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Beachwood, OH

wallaby1 - the mottled foliage could be Red Riding Hood, or one of the other Greigii tulips - mine looked just like that. Pretty isn't it?

They are lovely, I don't think it will flower this year though. It looks to be increasing well, I have another so will have a few to spread around. I think some are better marked than others, this one is very well marked. Now all I need is the moles to churn them up!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Wallaby,

I would say it is a standard Delft Blue or maybe a Blue Jacket. Different lighting can make them both appear different but at any rate it is a pretty, even blue.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Not the best pictures I've ever taken, but here goes...

Double Snowdrop

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

These were taken today, by the way.

Primrose. And it really IS just that blue. There are yellow ones preparing for blooms in the background. The red one isn't showing signs of blooms yet.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

One of the 50 crocuses (crocii? LOL) I planted in the grass under the oak tree out back.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Replete daffodils getting ready, and tulips coming up amongst them (pink tulips of some sort).

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Red Riding Hood tulips, not blooming, but love the foliage! I planted something else in with them, but for the life of me, I can't remember what! I seem to remember that it was purple, though, whatever it is. Any idea what it could be?

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Denver, CO

Wonderful, Kylee. That other bulb could be anything right now, I reckon. Chionodoxa, Scilla, Muscari...
I like the Galanthus picture.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

You know, it might be muscari (Dark Eyes). I got some free with an order last fall...

This message was edited Mar 28, 2006 1:48 AM

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Geez, I go away for a couple of days and it takes me a while to view all the great pics.
Yes it was time for a new thread.
The warming temps are pushing things up, now we need rain. It has been the driest March in 100 years. I've had to water potted perennials I overwintered.

Remember the tiny butter colored Crocus I posted last week?
Here is a pic of a 'standard' Crocus (name?) beside them this morning.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Here they are among the tiny guys, on the left.
I planted a bunch of little bulbs under this large Butterfly Bush.
The B'Bush shades everything in Summer but these Crocus are fine.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

kb the blue primrose is stunning! I don't seem to be able to capture the true colour of mine, with sun it overexposes, without sun the depth of colour makes the camera flash. I have 3 colours now in the pot with self sets. Your T. Red Riding Hood has a different pattern to my stripy leaf, mine are broken. They are more or less at the same stage though!
Sweet snowdrop all on its lonesome, it will seed around. The white glares even when dull I find in taking pics. So does Daff Tete a Tete, the yellow is so rich.

Thanks Steve, blues are pretty, more so in person.

Nice pair Andy! The flowers are huge compared to the leaves, certainly dwarf the species. Don't know the name, I got some mixed ones similar, the blue are really pretty.

Could be Queen of the Blues, I think the one I had on previous thread of a close up (3 flowers) could be

http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/image_browse?query='crocus%20queen%20of%20the%20blues'&first=&last=&imgurl=https://www.pottertons.co.uk/catalog/images/Crocus-large-dutch-Queen-of.jpg&refurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pottertons.co.uk%2Fcatalog%2Findex.php%3FcPath%3D25_44&width=281&height=230&requestId=ab48f0c75711410c&clickedItemRank=3&encquery='crocus%20queen%20of%20the%20blues'&page=

try that again

http://www.pottertons.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_44&products_id=246

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Temps are definitely alot milder and my frogs have spawned so spring is here at last!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Wallaby, My Chinodoxa (Glory in the Snow) are showing up. I had to water the bulb gardens today, it's so dry.
By the way, today I dug up some Dahlias I left out. They were near the foundation on the south side of the house. They are the very tall 'Bishops Children' and I was tired of having to stake them. Most of them survived, I think. Must be a 'sign', lol.
We had a very mild winter but I'm surprised any made it. They are so near the surface.
Andy P

We are getting daily showers, today it turned a bit more chill. Andy we were having very dry weather until recently, it seems strange to have to water your pots over winter all the time. My Bishop's Children are only shallow too, they have been in the ground for over 3 years and don't get winter sun, but are quite hardy being offspring of Bishop of Llandaff. I hope this cold winter hasn't done them, they have been mulched once. I took some seed just in case.

Tulipa Stresa has such an interesting centre, and the red on the outside has intensified either with age or lack of sun.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Taken today

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Shakespeare I believe

Thumbnail by wallaby1

The raised bed behind the clematis trellis

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Narcissus Jetfire, the cup goes more orange with age

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Anemone blanda filling up more

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh that Stresa!!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT! Shakespeare is lovely as well!

I found lots of interesting ones today on a nursery here for autumn delivery, hmmmm, guess who will be placing an order!
I have seen the site before, and it is reasonably close too, but mail order is easier if I don't want to travel....still worth a trip, no more than 40 miles.

http://www.pottertons.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=2768cadf20b1205c1dea83a18afba38e

lots of unusual crocus I've never seen too, and they have that Tropaeolum tricolorum I want!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

that tropaeolum tricolorum sure is fancy! Stressa is really fancy, too!
on the website, of course, I had to fall in love with crocus mathewii, the most expensive one.

Ah yes, the crocus with the dark centre, don't know about coughing up for it though!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.