Sweet Scarlet Gumi

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I havnt been able to find much info on how best to care for these bushes on the internet. Can anyone give me some pointers?
Thanks
Caren

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Not much too it. They are really easy care no fuss plants. I haven't done anything but mulch mine since I planted them afew years ago and they are flowering exceptionally heavily this year.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Welcome newyorkrita to DG.

How are your raspberries doing?

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Thank you newyorkrita,
That was the main reasom I chose the plant. Fruit is nice too but I wanted the fragrant flowers most :0)

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I have a hedge of seven of these things out in my front yard and three more elsewhere. The first few years I had them you had to sniff the flowers to get the scent when they bloomed. Well, they must have been getting established. This year, you only had to walk NEAR the plants to get the most wonderful scent. The flowers are not much too look at but the shrub itself is very nice looking.

I personally absolutely LOVE the fruit. But I will admit it would not be to everyone's taste. Birds like the fruit too so if you don't want it, it will not go to waste.

Hey, no wonder it is so quiet over at the other forum, everyone is over here!

My raspberries seem to be ok. The Red Carolines have multiplied so much I am pulling them out of the lawn. The Anne yellow never suckered, I still have my them in my original spots only.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I attended a seminar on permculture a few weeks back and Gumi was listed as one of the most nutritious small fruit to grow.It is on my list.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.