Rooting tree ivy?

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

When and how is the best way to root tree ivy ? We recently tried it and have had less than 50% success. Would fall be a better time to try since it is evergreen?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I have never done it before , but I would imagine that if you cut the tips that are growing ( not sure if they are actively growing where you are now) a few nodes down, take off a few leaves (if there are any there at the bottom of the cutting) and just leave a few leaves at the top and stick in wet soil where there are 1-2 nodes in the soil and mist a few times a day, and have bottom heat if possible. Usually soft cuttings root faster than hardwood cuttings. Is that about what you did ? If so, it may not have been the right time of the year? Good luck

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

yes, that is what we did. We finally decided that they were being watered too often as they appeared to be rotting. (As far as we know they were only being watered once a week.)We moved them to the floor of the greenhouse and only watered every other week. They do look better now, but we are still going to lose many of them. My "mama" shrub is small so I didn't want to take any more cuttings at this time and wanted to know when the best time would be before I "sacrificed" any more cuttings.

Our greenhouse,which we share with a public garden, leaves a lot to be desired. A heating unit that is either "off" or "on" , and is manually controlled, so there is no night time heat. We also do not have access to a heating mat ! Guess we are lucky to have any luck at all !

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I've had some dmails about the tree ivy, so thought I would post a picture of it to show what large leaves it has.I have big hands, so this shows what BIG leaves this shrub has, and it is in poor soil and less than perfect light conditions.

Thumbnail by corgimom
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Calalily has a thread up here in Propagation using spagnum moss on harder wood cuttings. She is getting great results-

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

I haven't thought about that. I will have to try it - if only I knew what MONTH would be the best time for this shrub.

thanks !

Libby

Hooks, TX

I've had good luck rooting fig limbs by air layering. I used a sterile razor blade to slant-cut a little over half through a not-so soft and not-so hard limb and use a toothpick inserted to keep the cut open. Then I wrapped the cut with wet moss and bound the bundle with plastic wrap. It only took about 4 weeks for the roots to form.

You may want to try this.

Louise

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Ooohhhh.... sounds like more trouble than I want ! I am too lazy ! Besides, the master gardeners want some for our plant sale so want to do a flat or more, so I need to do more than just one or two.

I might try that just for me,though. I have never tried air layering. I am too reckless with sharp objects and my husband has banned me from them :(

Libby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.