Spring Foliage?

San Jose, CA(Zone 8a)

This is great info; thanks doss and Laura. I love the foliage on the Crimson Queen and the size and habit sound perfect. Regan's, here I come...

South San Francisco, CA

Suzette - If your going nursery-hopping (my favorite past-time) please do stop by. I'd love to show you around!

Doss - Yes we do have one Beni fushigi left. I just took a pic to post and realized I left my cable at home. Doh! It's a little guy, 2 gallon and about 3 feet tall. I'll post a pic when I get home...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Suzette, Carlmont is really a wonderful nursery and Beni Fushigi is a lovely cultivar. If you have the time you should go there and look.

South San Francisco, CA

Here's the Beni fushigi. Not the greatest picture, but this is, after all, Belmont. Anyone who's been here in the afternoon knows why the locals call it "Blowmont". Just a tad bit of wind to make amateur photography even that much more difficult.

Suzette - another you may want to look into is Shaina. Nice, tight and bushy. Good deep red foliage but the added bonus of bright red new growth throughout most of the season and especially showy in late July-August when all the secondary growth appears. Quite a show! Fall colors light this one up. And slow growing, upright and not too wide.

Have my camera, have my cable (together, no less) I'll post some pics when I get in tomorrow...

Thumbnail by nurserydude
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Did the world turn sideways while I was asleep but i am still upright or vi a vesa ...HELP!!!! ;>) David

South San Francisco, CA

I told you it was windy in Belmont! I had to run up 15 feet past the maple and try to snatch a photo as I flew by. The landing was ugly...

Actually it's Acer palmatum 'Beni fushigi prostratus'. Very rare and pricey ;o)~

Sorry about that. I just learned something new about my new camera and how it displays pics on its screen as opposed to other viewers.

Here's a pic of the Shaina I mentioned. It is almost, but not completely, leaved out. In a week or so all of the "holes" and twigs you see will fill in nicely and it will be nice and solid.

Thumbnail by nurserydude
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The Shaina is beautiful. As far as the Beni Fushigi "prostrata', I'm wondering why it looks so upright?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Doss do you have a good imagination or what ;>) ...DA pic ( Shania) doesn't show up as thumbnail on thread or enlaged on my cpu ??? any one else either have gtreat imagination or can't see it ????

South San Francisco, CA

Hmmm...it was there a few minutes ago? I'll repost it...

Thumbnail by nurserydude
Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

nurserydude...boy that is sure a funny mental "picture", {wahoooooo} LOL!

Shaina is an interesting shape, right now it looks a bit like a spiral staircase.

I went by one of my favorite local nurseries...OMG, they have bunches of JMs this year. It was really tough leaving without one, let me tell you! There were a couple of unlabled older trees that were very vertical in structure, and had a smaller leaf than a bloodgood, but red, and similar shape to the leaf. They were very "orangey", sort of glowed, wish I knew what they were, I could not find one labeled or a smaller one that I might be able to afford, heheheh. I also saw a Koto no Ito (hope that is spelled right), what a neat looking tree. A tiny one was labeled to get 2 ft by 2ft at 10 years. Doss, how big is the one at the beginning of this thread?

Laura

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

there may be tech problems with this forum i have had problems accessing at varias times lately...even couldn't going from the water garden forum to this one ..it worked fine (the WG forun)...pic still doesn't show BTW

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey! The Shaina was there awhile ago! Who stole it?????

Dave did say that they were doing some work on the system and it has been flaky today but the Shaina that was there before was worth seeing it. Maybe you'd post it again Gary?

The Koto No Ito in my yard is about 5 and a half feet tall now and about 4 feet wide. It's supposed to be upright and narrow but it's not feeling like doing that. If you notice, some of the leaves are more solid than others. A strange thing about Koto no Ito is that the leaves change into the more finely cut shape as the branches get older. Nature is amazing, isn't it?

My understanding is that Koto no Ito is supposed to get about 10 feet tall in 10 years. I don't know of any that want to stay as small as 2X2 Maybe someone else does?

This message was edited Apr 19, 2006 7:00 PM

Thumbnail by doss

Doss, what you are saying makes a lot more sense. The little plant was sitting near the "miniature garden" display. I haven't yet had time to check Vertrees.

Laura

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Yah about the koto..no way that small even with crappy growing conditions... If it was bought 10 years ago maybe it was not grafted or rooted or layered but seed grown and is not a true KOTO .... but even if so there are probably folks that would kill for a 2x2 koto-like JM...dwarfs are really in demand as so many with small yards want 'em...but it is definitly NOT a true koto IMHO (unless in a pot and bozai'd ) ;>) David

As far as this site and forum ...yah it has not been working properly today at all but I have had trouble accessing it from time to time over the past couple of weeks ...eventually I can always get on but the browser finds the site but it don't reply ...just trie to load and finally you get that non respoisive site screen ....!!!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

OOPS misread the post Laura SORRY... you don't HAVE IT ....just saw it ...yikes showing my age ...yes the label is WRONG unless your dog chews on it every year then all bets are off maybe it should read "grows to 2x2ft if critters present" !!! ;>) David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey! I want a 2X2 koto next time you find one! LOL Talk about your foliage plant!

It drives me crazy how trees are different sizes on different sites. Then I almost always have to add about 50%. Maybe I'm too nice to my trees?

That's OK, we are all allowed our "CRS" disease (can't remember....uh, STUFF). ;-)

I was very, very tempted to buy it, as I like to watch them change and mature, but this one just didn't look as nice as some others I've purchased there. I went in to see the bigger ones in their spring colors and happened upon the other display.
It was a little bit funny as they had a mature one over in the regular maple display, It was bigger than 2x2, and I don't remember if it was marked for size (probably not as It would have made an impression given the contrast). They also had another section with just "bonsai'd" maples [drooling].

It is a very nice nursery, and their displays, I must say, seem a bit better this year, more imagination--outdoor rooms, vignettes, the miniature container gardens, I was very impressed. I may have to check out their other location a bit south of me in the city of Norfolk.

Doss, now that you mention it, the mature tree also had the mixed leaf sizes like yours, neat stuff! If I find one about 3 foot tall and 30-70 dollars, I will be sold.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Now that would be a very nice price indeed.

I wish I could come shopping with you at your nursery. It sounds really beautiful.

Oops we lost the Koto No Ito photo too. Lots of little question marks. ???

The prices on the little ones are around $29.99, usually 2-3 foot, such as my little viridis. I bought the "Mizuho Beni", and the "Bloodgood", and "Itame Nibuki" last year for that price. the "mid-size" trees, about 4-5 feet run in the $99.99 range, plus or minus, and the mature ones that we all drool over vary in the several hundreds of dollars depending on variety and age.

They are a very nice nursery. I think they have over 50 varieties this year, every year there are more. I badly want to go to their "bigger" location this weekend, but also have a plan to go to "Brent and Becky's Bulbs" Saturday.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Ah, life is full of choices. Becky's Bulbs or your new Japanese Maple nursery? It'll be great to see what you come home with from either place. How come bulbs in the spring?

http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/summer/

For me, I want a few lilies, and it's a nice drive with flowers to look at! Dogwoods are almost done blooming here...but might still be blooming a bit further inland.

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Have a great time and take photos. Ms. Becky sure has about every bulb there is!

Will do!

Laura

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Seedling maple on my back patio. I chose a seedling for this spot because it's got a south-facing exposure and can be quite windy.

Thumbnail by doss

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.