Ahhh...those Depends are for my seedlings...really!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

After reading about the water retention crystals found in diapers, I happened across a bag of adult Depends for sale at our local VOA store (like a Goodwill). About 25 LARGE diapers for $1.99! When I got them home, I soaked one in water and boy, do they hold a lot. I tore one apart to check it out and the center part was filled with the crystals!

I potted up my hollyhock seedlings in peat pots but they dry out so easily. So I packed them in a tray with the cotton and crystals from the Depends. I'll upload a picture and let you all know if this works out.

Planti

Thumbnail by PlantiMcPlanter
Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Do you remember where the article was ?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Hmmm...I think it was in the Container gardening forum. Here's one thread:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/216095/

Planti

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Hmm.. what did the clerk at the store say ? Did he look at your funny ?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

It was a woman...and she pointedly did NOT look at me. I wanted to say so bad, "These are for my seedlings" but thought it would make it worse! LOL Oh the things we do for our gardening habit :)

Planti

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have lined my hanging baskets and small outdoor pots with disposable diapers for years - works wonderfully!

This message was edited Mar 26, 2006 6:56 AM

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Mar 26, 2006 6:56 AM

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thank you guys... once again I learned something I would have never thought about... this seems like a great idea with the diapers... that's why I love this site!... being a newbie.. this site & all the people on it... are wonderful

Allison

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

The diapers at a yard sale might be a find, but if you want the polymers in them go to the source for a better price and no cotton or whatever they pad diapers with.
Here is where I got mine last year http://watersorb.com/prices.htm and as you can tell they are very reasonable. The site is full of info, so look around there.
My sandy yard perks at 55mph, so iput some in every planting hole to help them.
Sidney

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you very much for that link sugarweed..... we are about to seed our lawn.... might not be a bad idea since we have wet / dry cycles here in NJ

I read on the website that you can till in the polymers before you seed the lawn... sounds like a great idea to me

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Don't over-do this, use exactly what they recommend tilled in well. Otherwise it can be messy. I would definately do it though.
Sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.