Do any of you have an Asparagus Bed?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Have to start somewhere, Rhonda!

Clute, TX

This is my first time growing asparagus. I started some Mary Washington, a green variety, from seed. I have a bunch of little delicate ferns. I can see how these may be a problem growing as they are so delicate. I have also planted some 1 year old crowns, 10 purple passion asparagus. Mine have only been in the ground a month and I have a couple of spears peaking over the 6" of soil already. But they are quite thin. Is this normal? Should I let these spears mature and cut the rest or let anything that comes up mature?
I would appreciate any advice.

Thumbnail by Datasmate
Clute, TX

It doesn't have that beautiful purple like escubed has. What's missing?

Thumbnail by Datasmate
Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

Datasmate,

For one thing, I am a year ahead of you in the age of my plants. And you can expect thin stems for most of this year. Many of mine fell over last summer as they were thin, tall, and bushy at the top. I am planning on a very light harvest this year with increasing yield next year until finally having a mature stand in 2008. At least that's the plan. Reality may be something else...
I would include an updated picture but the plants haven't gotten appreciably larger in the last week.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

thats the joy of asparagus. As you sit and patiently wait 3 years for a few spears you can get a lot of weeding done in the garden. Ten would be enough for a family of one. Hee Hee

Clute, TX

Escube,

That gives me a better feel for a time line. Some people suggested I wait two more years before I harvest anything. But at the same time I'm supposed to cut or mow them to the ground each winter? I'm in zone that gets maybe three weeks of cold (45 - 60) and a week of below 45. I still have tomatoe and bell pepper plants from last summer! What do I do if the asparagus doesn't die back?

I can't wait for the taste of fresh asparagus.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Hmmmm. I picked about 10 spears this morning, brought them in, blanched them so I could freeze until I can get enough for a meal..............
tasted one after blanching...........................and ate the other 9 !!!!!!!!!
Before Breakfast !!!!

OOps ! Looks like nobody else is gonna get any except me. We just won't tell anyone there were any ready. hehe

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Peggie - that sounds like something I would do! We are going to have to buy some for Easter dinner. I was hoping some of the local farms would have them up by now but it doesn't look that way.

-Kim

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

Datasmate,

Although I would sincerely like to have answers to your questions about asparagus in Texas I am unable to do so. I did live in Houston 20 years ago and had a nice garden but no asparagus. So... two suggestions for answers. 1) Contact Nourse Farms, my favorite asparagus plant supplier (http://www.noursefarms.com) and they may be able to help or 2) contact your county ag extension agent (http://county-tx.tamu.edu/) and he/she will be able to help. I'd be curious to know the answers so please post when you find out. Other than that have patience. Lots and lots of patience.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

My asparagus has finally started to come up, just a couple of sprouts about the size of match sticks. Ya-hoo!

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I was wondering if I could mulch the asparagus bed with wood shavings???? Have alot of them and thought they would help keep down the weeds......Any response would be greatly apppreciated.......

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Are they fresh wood shavings, like from woodworking projects ?

If they are and haven't decomposed, they will sap the nitrogen up and leave the plants needy, as wood uses up a lot of nitrogen as it breaks down.

I'm not an expert by any means, but this is just what I've always heard.

Anyone else care to share what you know ?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I have a vegetable book that says black plastic or bark chips can be used as mulch. Don't use salt to keep the weeds down. My parents used to do that till Dad killed a patch with the ice cream maker water.
It also says the best mulch is peat moss or compost in the spring.

Has anyone cooked asparagus on the grill like a burger? DELICIOUS! Roll it in melted butter, salt and grill till it's limp. Leave a little crisp in it. Pick it up and eat. YUM!

Springboro, OH(Zone 5b)

I love, love, love the stuff. My daughter does too. She's 10 and can easily eat a whole pound for dinner. So can I. DH likes it too, but isn't in love with it like we are. Since it's usually $2.99/lb. at the grocery, growing it ourselves should be a tad more economical. Of course by the time it's really going, DD will be 13 and want two pounds each meal. :) How can you complain about a kid eating her veggies?

I recently found it on sale for $1 per pound and bought 5, thinking I'd freeze some. But we ate it all first. I did blanch and freeze some, just to test the method, but it turned out all mushy. Maybe I cooked it too long before freezing.

Is home-canned asparagus as mushy as commercially canned?

Anyway, I ordered a set of 25 crowns and they should arrive tomorrow or soon thereafter. I'm still trying to figure out where to plant them. I definitely want to put them someplace I can expand the bed - I'd like to add more each year!

I planted some several years ago at our previous home, but they didn't do so well. I chose a spot that was too wet in the spring. Then, figuring the plants were all dead, DH piled a bunch of firewood on the bed. Sure enough, those ferns came poking out from between the logs. Figures.

My favorite way to cook it is to fry the spears with butter and minced garlic. Yum yum.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Yum! I ordered 10 plants today. Dad brought me a dishpan-full earlier. Tomorrow I take him homemade rolls.

I would freeze it rather than can it.

Also, regarding supermarket asparagus. I always sniff the tips (as people stare at me) to see if they have an off "fishy" smell. I *never* buy it if the tips have that smell. If they don't, even if the asparagus is a little wilted or rubbery, I buy it. When I get home, I trim off the bottom 1/4 inch of stem and stick the spears in cold water like flowers and put them in the fridge. Within an hour, they are perfectly firm and crunchy. Just a hint if you need asparagus for finger food or something: if it smells fresh, it can be revived. I do the same with broccoli.

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

Zeppy,
Thanks for the tip. I love that kind of advise. I like to smell my lettuce to see if it smells bitter, at least iceberg, which is my least favorite but my DH likes it. never heard of doing that with asparagus. Have you heard this one? The big sweet onion that are the sweetest are those that are slightly flattened out is shape. Some gal in the store told me that, said she got that tip from an onion farmer.

Billyporter,
I tried grilling some like you discribed. They were excellent, a bit chared but I didn't mind that. Very good and tasty. Thanks.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I never buy asparagus or tomatoes. I will buy canned.

I sniff the bags of potatoes and strawberries. I don't buy fresh strawberries very often either.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

My mother used to say that the flat onions were the sweetest ones. That's how she taught me to pick out an onion. But I'm not sure it really works that way. I've gotten some really strong flat ones.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I heard that flat onions grow round and vice - versa.

I always look for the strongest onions. :)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I love the smell when onions hit the stir-fry oil. (Usually peanut oil.)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

billyporter...I had some fresh-picked "green onions" for supper the last two nights here! I love the sound and smell of them hitting the fry pan, too!

“Fried/Simmered” Onion Greens
Cut the roots off a big bunch of fresh-picked homegrown delicious green onions.
Using the whole onion (white as well as green tops) either cut or break so they fit in your frying pan. (I prefer a nice black skillet, with a lid!)
In the skillet/fry pan put in a little olive oil and, if you prefer, several cloves of smashed garlic. (What really adds a bit of flavor and makes the house smell good is to also add a few drops of Sesame Oil!) Heat the pan, then add onions and cook over medium to med-high heat, stirring occasionally. The onions will cook down a bit…usually 10-15 minutes or so gets you off to a good start!
Cover the onions with broth and gently stir, then cover your skillet. I prefer a vegetable broth and use “Knorr Vegetarian Vegetable Bouillon”. One cube makes about two cups and that should be more than enough. Oftentimes I use one cube and only 1 cup of water, more flavors! You just want to cover the onions, not drown them. (DON’T use a meat bouillon. Yucky-poo!).
Simmer ten minutes or until tender to your liking. Serve as a side dish, serving as much or as little broth as you prefer. Add salt/pepper if you like.
PS…The Knorr Veggie cubes are fantastic for a good base for stews, soups, cooking vegetables in, etc.

Yummy!
Shoe

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sounds good Shoe. I have that black skillet.

Dad brought me winter onions last week and I've just been taking a bite of them and a bite of food.

Now we're doing rhubarb. Just froze 18 cups.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pkock, fried the asparagus in butter and steak seasoning for dinner. A winner!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.