Welcome!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

pati...i just measured and they are 22" pots indeed! remember it depends on which one your plant. if your planting the dwarf type you should be ok. but they all muliply like crazy! those you see in the pic were only ONE plant to begin with!

that a great idea about cutting the larger hole in the bottle but i would wouldn't be able to get them up! but your so correct that would help so much during heavy winds! i think i'll try that with the larger cultivars i'll be using!!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Tobee,
What are your growing conditions for the cannas? I have 10 Stuttgart's that need to be planted. I want to go in containers. Please let me know soonest, soil type, light, watering, etc. I'm a newbie and don't want to lose the investment on the Stuttgarts. Thanks.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks so much Tobee. I am assuming that the 22" is the measurment across the top of the pot? As you can see, Cannas isn't the only thing I am learning about. LOL

Benjamin.....10 Stuttgarts, WOW!!!! That's my dream Canna, but I need to know a lot more about the plant before I invest in them. Thanks for asking the right questions.
Pati

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

benjamin....ahhhhhhhh......your starting with one of the MOST difficult sorry to say. 'Stuttart (Stuttgart Variegated Canna)....has continous burning problems because of the variegation. you MUST keep them in semi shaded area for best results because the white areas burn so quickly. i use them as understory in the garden so they are sheltered by other plants.

use a good "potting" soil not garden soil for your pots. one that can hold the moisture well, since they need plenty of moisture. they as well as other cannas are heavy feeders, i would use a good time release. some say that by adding exta magnesium (epsom salts) to the soil will help in preventing the foliage burning.......i'm not so sure because i have never tried it! hope that helps..:)

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

pati.....correct...22 around the inter rim, (or as you say "across the top") hehehe!

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow Lauri are mine gonna be as beautiful as yours??I love all the rest too.! :o)))

Loretta...

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Yep Loretta, they are the same ones but yours are red....Lauri

Thanks Lauri...I was hoping that was them...I love the reds but you did send me other colors when you sent Pumpkin hers... :o)))

Loretta..

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm so glad to see this forum. I love cannas. I'm a little ill right now though, because of our crazy winter, I lost a few rare varieties that I planted in the early fall. Usually, here in South Texas cannas grow like weeds. We had an unusually warm winter, and then in mid February we had 2 back to back weekends of 23 deg. weather. Most of my cannas had already started coming up, and they froze back. The established clumps are ok, but several of the fall planted varieties show no sign of life now. I had one of Alice's (Karchesky Cannas) Snow Candy that I was babying like crazy. I dug it up this past weekend to move it to another bed, and discovered it was completely gone. It is a beautiful white canna with pink spots. I just ordered another one, and hope she still has them.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

minigrannie...is't alice just the nicest person ever!! she's been so wonderful and i had the opportunity during the winter to chat with her for some time. white with pink spots...i didn't see that one!

i can't wait to get my order!

Loretta, you may have some of the salmon and the oranges too. LOL I can't remember....Lauri

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Tobee43 (I just got this name),
Thanks for the heads up on the Stuttgarts. I've read enough now to know this is a serious VAMPIRE canna! Fortunately, there's a spot on the patio underneath a HUGE Elephant ear that's completely shaded. Should do ok there. I'll let you know. What about the Miracle Grow potting soil with the fertilizer in it? And how much Epsom salts should I sprinkle in each container. I'm going to use those 19" lightweight, cement-look pots from Sam's Club ($10) each. One plant per pot should do it. I have 10 Stuttgarts. WOW. That's $100. Am I crazy or what?!!!@#$$^#$&Q

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

ben...i think that soil will be just fine. but also use another time release along with it. really...i know that sounds nuts...the epson salts i would only use a little bit no more than about one tablespoon in the entire soil mix. mix it really well with the soil and then put the soil in the pots and do your planting i would try one pot with and one without to see if it makes that much difference.

and no crazier than all of us! and yeah...you got my name! you have to make sure you let us know!

Yeah Lauri your right..Do you think I should pot them up to give them a head start??

Loretta...

Yea Loretta if you have the room I'd pot em up and then you'll be ready to go that is if your ground ever thaws...Lauri

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I just went looking for this forum a week ago and it wasn't there! What a pleasant surprise to find it here now.

Hi Lauri my ground is thawed,but we never know here in MI. that can change..I potted up all the reds now I gotta get more pots...I do want to give them a head start so they have a longer growing season.. :o)))

Loretta...,

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

demstratt...where you keeping them once you pot them. i'm worried about putting them in the sunroom for a weeks before i can get them into the portable greenhouse we have. even though today is 60 i'm sure we will freeze again!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2006 4:47 PM

I put the ones I already potted up in my basement..The others I will put upstairs in a spare bedroom..I have a dahlia tree that hardly got any light and it's about 2 ft'tall and loaded with leaves..I'm in zone 5 and I can't trust my weather here till the end of May..I always start my bulbs with Superthrive and it works great for me...I'll let you know how my cannas do...

Loretta...

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, Alice is very nice and has some wonderful cannas.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

dem.....since you mentioned the basement i'll try a few there once i can mover the 20 bushes out of the way...!! i think i can find a few spots. i can't plant anything until the last week in may either so i know the rush will be on. but make sure you let me know how they are doing?? k

minigran.....i LOVE her cannas!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2006 7:52 PM

Hi tobbe43, I can't get the link to work =o((. I just want to look.. I will not buy, I will not buy. Hehehehe if I say it enough will it work?? Lauri

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

http://www.karcheskycanna.com/ sorry some how a few letters got in front of the http part???

you will buy you ....you will buy cuz you won't be able to help yourself!

This message was edited Mar 30, 2006 3:06 PM

OH tobee43 your bad...You must be a mind reader what to do????

Loretta...

only looking, only looking, well maybe just one =o)) now to decided which one!! Lauri

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

I TOLD YOU!!! one just can't help themselves.........they are soooooo beautiful!! you must share with us which ones you both chose....can't wait to know!

I know Lauri I betcha she bought more then one...Tell us Lauri we want to know..! ;o)))

Loretta...

none yet...still looking and talking to DH =o)). Loretta did you find the pics of the coldframes yet??? Lauri

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

hurry...laurie i can't wait!!! hehehe...it's so bad that site! i just can't look at in anymore because i always want more and more and more!

I know they do have some beauties there..No Lauri I still can't find where there at,tell me where..

Loretta..

Go to the Greenhouse Forum and then it is the 4th one down. =o))...Lauri

Thanks I found it...

Loretta..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.