Silly me...

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Confused again!

I planted some Culantro and some Purslane a few weeks ago, and when the weather was nice a few weeks ago, I set them outside for a couple of days. Now I see a few things in my pot that I'm pretty sure are weeds! However, since I've never grown either of these before, I'm not real sure what they are supposed to look like right now.

Can anyone help me with this id? I'm thinking the short one with the flat wide leaves is a weed.

Appreciate any input!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Cilantro looks kind of like parsley ....at least after a little while. Purslane [my most detested weed] looks like Portalacca [moss rose].
I don't see either in the picture yet..especially I don't see purslane.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2006 12:20 PM

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Do you mean cilantro (might be silly me if that's not what you meant!). There is nothing in that pot that looks like cilantro to me--I grow alot of it for homemade "breakfast burritos".
Debbie

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Here's another shot. As I see it, the little with round leaves is the purslane and the pointyish one is the culanto. The bigger one in the center looks like it might be a weed, but it also looks alot like the one I think is the culantro. Sheesh...only me! (This is the same pot I found the Walnut Trees growing in!)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Oops - forgot the photo attrachment...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Purslane has jade plant leaves. The two small ones could be emergent cilantro.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2006 12:20 PM

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

No, culantro is a cilantro substitute. bit more of a green than an herb, supposedly tastes very similar, is very healthy and last longer (doesn't bolt in 2 weeks). Alas, I don't know what it looks like in infancy!

Uh-oh - having checked out the above link, these babies don't look, like nuthin! So wither I'm growing a bunch of weeds, or my seeds were mixed up. Either way, I think I'll not waste alot of time on this pot!

Thank you, both!

BTW - that lik attaches to file named "botanicafanerogama" which has a VBS/Soraki Virus. I caught it before it did too much damage - it only corrupted one file - but I wanted to warn you not to open that particular file if you see it!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I didn't plant CILANTRO. I planted CULANTRO.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's why I said might be silly me too! :)
We must be in one of those solar flare cycles that affects human communication....LOL
Deb

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

i found a pic of some culantro seedlings. I hope.

http://www.caribbeanseeds.com/culantro.htm

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

LOL! People aren't as familiar with the culantro, but everyone I know who has tried it really likes it.

Thanks Zep - I'd found a photo of them on the Infected botanicals thread that was infected with the virus. They sure don't look like anything in the pot either. On close examination, though, I did see where some purslance IS coming up. Somehow the weeds just managed to rootthemselves first. Ain't that jes the way???

It's possible the Culantro Seeds won't germinate because they are too old. I hadn't realized they only have a 6-month shelf-life and they may be older than that. I will try again in a more controlled environment!

Thanks again!

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Sequee, those look just like weeds I get around here all the time. I had them in a container where I planted seeds last year and went through the exact same thing as you...are they seedlings? are they weedlings??? I say weedlings. :)

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Sequee:

In the Carribean, culantro is known as shadow bene (spelling?) I had no idea what you were talking about until I saw Zeppy's link. It is a staple in their version of a kitchen garden.

BB

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

On the upside, the purslane IS germinatin, so all is not lost! I'll keep you posted!

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Sequee,
Have you tasted it yet? I love cilantro, but do have bolting problems as well. I usually try to plant a few every three weeks or so (with arugula too) but i don't use tons of it (like i do arugula !) it would be cool to find a close substitute that didn't bolt as fast.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

The only time I tasted it was at an Indian Restaurant. In fact, that's the first time I learned of it. I asked a waiter what the flavor was in a dish - it had the hint of cilantro, but not as sharp. He asked the Chef and the Chef came out and visited our table. I asked where he bought it, and he told me he grows it. So I bought some seeds, off season, not realizing I had to plant them right away. I'm still hoping I can get a few of them to geminate.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

I love Indian food. When we have a few extra bucks to blow on eating out that is where Jeremy and i go. There is also a decent Thai place not far from here, but it is spendier. I will await your report on flavor, and if it works for you, maybe we can do a little (i'm really trying not to laugh here) seed trade next spring.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

US??? Nah...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.