Spring is finally coming

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Next week we are finally supposed to hit our normal temps for this time of year - highs in the 50s and lows around 40. (It's 33 degrees now and was 14 a few nights ago). Not much sun is in the forecast but I'll just be happy to shed the winter coat. Our babies should start shooting up with the warmth

Karen

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

It's snowing right now. Nevertheless, the gardener will come, spread mulch and plant flowering quince which I mail-ordered. I have had the quince for a week and they just have to go in the ground, they are in small pots. I wish the nursery had not sent them so soon.

Question: When you mail-order from nurseries, do you let them decide when the best time for planting is in your area, or do you always specify a delivery date? In the past I have always trusted in their professional judgement, but I'm not so sure I should.

Beachwood, OH

Does this mean that we can't sow anymore seeds the WS way? Whoops. I wasn't quite done yet.

Sorry can't answer your question about mail order nurseries - I make my annual trip to Bluestone and have bought many small starter shrubs there, or else I go locally and buy the larger ones in person. But I think given that so many mail order plants are sent small I'd ask to specify the date if possible. Hope your babies make it!
Andrea

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I let the nursery decide. If I had a special need or unusual micoclimate I'd specify.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

alyrics: Yes, you can still sow LOTS of seeds! No need to worry!!

Most of the time, mail order nurseries will ask you when you want your plants delivered. You can suggest a time that is best for you & your schedule. If you don't suggest a date, then the nurseries will ship when the danger of frost has past in your area. Spring and Fall are the best time to have plants shipped.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.