Plant Markers

Canton, OH(Zone 5b)

I tried something this year (tip from another gardener). My plant markers this year will be cut up miniblind slats with the plant name written on them in permanent marker. I have my ws'd containers outside id'd this way, and they have been outside since Jan 21 and the ink has not faded or run yet.

Auburn, MA(Zone 5b)

Debjor,
I do the same thing, with a lttle variation. Instead of markers, I use pencil. A regular one works, but I use a heavy art pencil......it writes a little darker. When I plant out, the blinds work nicely as markers in the garden. I've got things out there from two winters ago that are still very legible. As a matter of fact, when I wanted to reuse some of them, I couldn't wash it off. I had to use an eraser. I tried a "sharpie" the first couple of years, but it faded on me. Just my experience. :)

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

This is a great tip; thank you.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've had better luck with the "Industrial super permanant ink" Sharpies... my mini blind tags lasted all season even in full sun last year, and are still mostly legible now (there were a few forgotten ones out in the garden). Other people have had good luck using opaque paint pens. For perennials, I've been using my new Dymo LetraTag, blue or yellow plastic label tape, on metal markers.... so far, so good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.