Help! How do I find out my average final frost date?

West Richland, WA(Zone 7a)

I am planting a raised frame vegetable garden this year and closely reading my seed packets and my garden books and they some say to wait for the average final frost date (or something to that extent). Granted I am anxious to get started but not too anxious to jump the gun. But this is my first time planting vegetables in this region of WA. Actually, it is my first time planting vegetables of any kind since I was a kid. I am not sure if I am too late or too early planting my peas and carrots and such or right on time. I am calling this my "experimental year" so I will just see what I get and don't get and keep a journal. But any advice on how to find some of this elusive info would be fantastic!

http://www.avant-gardening.com/zone.htm
http://www.humeseeds.com/frost1.htm#OR
I'm not a vegetable gardener myself. I'm sure someone else will be close by to help you out.
Meantime here is a zone map you can take a look at.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2006 11:50 PM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

You are a little bit colder over there than this side of the mts. But you can start your peas if the soil isn't too wet or soggy.
As for carrots, I would wait for a bit.
I am going to plant my peas, onions, and some broc. this weekend.
I usually consider the end of March being the last frost day here but I know it can go well into April tho.
With this year being so cold, ..... am not sure what the last frost day will really be.
Carol

Interesting that you mention this year being so cold. We actually had a very mild winter on this side. November was well below average but that was about it. Spring has sprung here in the Tri-Cities with the past few days being well over 65 degrees. It has so far been a very dry spring but we do only average 7" of rainfall per year. I am just a little overwhelmed with the zone maps I have looked at and such. I know I am in 7a but I am not sure how to dig deeper into what that all means! I have a habit of overthinking so things and this may be one of them, lol. Thank you both for the responses!!

Thank you for the links GardenGuyKin!! They were exactly what I was looking for! I am very pleased to have that info. I knew that info had to be available I just wasn't googling correctly. I saved both linked to my "favorites". Your help is much appreciated!

Your welcome. Glad I could be of some help...
Guess what. I was born and raised in Hermiston. Crossed the river many times to shop in the Tri-Cities.
Hope you have great success in your garden.
Kin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.