Hibiscus - what's your experience in the PNW?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I've grown H. syriacus and the cultivars but I'm wondering of many of you have grown the other species and cultivars. Anyone know of a Hibiscus that blooms earlier than H. syriacus? Thanks.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I planted one I got last year for free from the Audubon Society catalog. It had a couple of blooms; it was those big red flowers. It was a tiny little plant; I think it survived. This is my only experience with hibiscus. From what pictures I see it looks like a wonderful group of plants to grow; such big showy blooms.

I also have H. syriacus Bleeding Heart.
It blooms early for me, like by the end of June. I also have several more hardy ones that bloom late Aug. and Sept. I wish I knew of some more that bloom early.
I just noticed today that a H. 'Blue Bird' survived the winter. It will be interesting to see it's growing habits this year.
Has anyone else had one of these? Interested in hearing about it here in the PNW.

my neighbor has a rose-of-sharon type tree with double blue blossoms that is probably 10 feet tall and is always covered with blooms. It's obviously survived a long time. http://www.plantclon.ru/bio/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/vanda/normal_hibiscus_syriacus_Marina.jpg
Here's a photo that looks like his shrub.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.