Advice on Hollyhock 'Queeny Purple' from ParkSeed

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

I am growing Hollyhock 'Queeny Purple' new this year and wondered if anyone has any advice? I am planning on starting seeds 6 weeks before last frost in my area and then transplanting out in the garden. Web info says it doesn't need staking, is this true? Anything you can add would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sue

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I have never staked mine, but if it gets to be a problem, you can always stake it later

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi,Sue! If you have grow lights,I would start them now.They are a little slow growing at first,so they need all the headstart you can give them.I also soaked the seeds for a few hours or overnight in a solution of1/2 hydrogen peroxide-1/2 warm water.Helps them germinate faster.Good luck! They are lovely!
Gail

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have not grown that variety, but I was surprised mine flowered from seed last year - I thought it might take 2 years.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I stuck mine outside (wintersowing) in a deep flat. After a couple freezes and thaws, they're coming up like crazy.

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the comments! So I do have lights in my basement -- so I should start them now? Ok. I usually start things (mostly annuals) in April 1st to April 15th time frame. We are almost there now the winter is going fast now!

Zeppy I have wintersown perennials before I will try to do some with winter sowing -- good suggestion!

Sue

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Anyone have any photos of this in their garden?

Thanks!

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi sedum 37,

I sowed the seeds in the frame on Feb.2 ,and they bloomed on July 18.
If you want to have them bloom within the same year ,
You have better sow them as soon as possible.

This page shows their growing process .
Sorry the navigation is in Japanese.

http://homepage1.nifty.com/heartsease/ikubyou/queenyhollyhock.htm

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Hi TomTom,
Thanks for the photos Lovely flowers! I am going to try to get them going this weekend. So about 4.5 months from sowing to flower production under ideal conditions... Good to know.

I do usually start perennials earlier and since this is a biennial I probably should have started them already. I mostly grow annuals from seed and most of the ones I grow I can get by starting them in the first two weeks of April as my last frost date here is end of May. Last year we got so much cold rain in spring, most people delayed putting things out. I think I didn't put plants out until June 7th.

Sue

Edit: typos

This message was edited Mar 24, 2006 2:25 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.