Is it too late to prune fruit trees?

Jamison, PA(Zone 6a)

We have 3 years old fruit trees that need pruning (at least branches that grow low). They already got buds this spring and I am wondering if it is ok to prune now?
Thank you.

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

Baby,
If the low branches are in the way, you can prune them. However, you might do some research on 'summer pruning'. Here's one site:
http://www.emilycompost.com/summer_pruning_pinch_an_inch.htm
Dormant season pruning, while the norm(you can see what you're doing, and what else does an orchardist have to do in the dead of winter?) is actually counter-productive - makes trees funnel lots of energy into pushing aggressive new growth - much of which you'll have to prune off next year.
Summer pruning is actually more effective in controlling vigorous growth, and may actually result in heavier fruiting, as compared to dormant season pruning.

Glen Rock, PA

Summer pruning can encourage fireblight in succeptible varieties. (Jonathan apples, Asian Pears, etc.), though. Peaches and other stone fruit do best if not pruned dormant. Around here, grapes have to be pruned in the winter before the sap rises, apples can be pruned anytime, and stone fruit when they are actively growing. I agree that winter pruning of pomme fruit makes for watersprouts, but, like Lucky says, it is the slow season. If everybody waited until late spring to prune their apples, some of them would not get pruned. Unless they opened the SW border of course.

Jamison, PA(Zone 6a)

Summer pruning sounds good to me. We have pear, cherry and plum trees. They do not need heavy pruning. Lucky_P, thanks for the link.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.