Gardening with my grand daughter

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

My 5 year old grand daughter will be visiting for 5 days in early April. She has told me she wants to cook pork chops, sew a dress for her doll and garden with me while she is here. I've got the pork chops and doll's dress down pat but I would love some ideas for the gardening part of her request. She lives in Northern VA so anything we plant will have to travel back there with her in a container as they won't be back here until Christmas.
I know we can do the traditional seeds most kids plant but does anyone have any ideas for unusual seeds or bulbs that could be planted in containers at this time of year? They would have to be easy care as my DS and DIL stay busy.
Any other ideas for a fun gardening project that a 5 year old could do?
Thanks, a

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Those short sunflower varieties come to mind if she has a place to transplant them at home. They germinate fast and are nearly indestructable for me. "Wally-World"; I'm sure, has the seeds.
Debbie

That is another thing, there is little sun at their home. Many huge trees around the house. I forgot I have some Teddy Bear Sunflower seeds around here somewhere. I wonder how they will do with less than ideal conditions.

Naperville, IL

How about trying something she can eat? A pretty leaf lettuce seed might be nice...only problem is the lack of sun....

Begonia bulbs grow well in shade and and can be planted in 6 inch pots. They're really easy to grow and have pretty flowers...

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

How about something a little more permanent, like plant a small tree. From then on it will be her tree. She will probably bug her parents to come see how "her tree" is. Ed

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Ardesia, the planting a tree thing sounds like a great idea. Then, from year to year, she can see how her tree is growing. You can talk to her tree, and then tell her what her tree is saying back! That's good for email or letters or phone calls...

You could also do some kind of houseplant, like an airplane plant, which will shoot off babies. She can take it home and tell YOU about it, as it grows. All it needs is some light, fertilizer, and water.

The tree is a great idea and I am expecting both a Tangelo and Ruby Red grapefruit this week. I will hold them in the pots until the kids get here. I will be able to send her "her own fruit" in years to come. Thanks.

The Airplane plant idea is a good one too; she will get a kick out of the young ones. I have one here and can show her how to start new plants for her friends.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.