Am i the only one?

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

posted my thread on Hood Pear Tree and no one has responded....(scroll up)....am i the only one growing it?..hope not as i am currently picking pears from it and they are so juicey and good....I got my tree at Home Depot..about 4 years ago..the first 2 years they need a fertile tree..but after that become self fertile...by the way...since the hurricanes "bent" it....it's easier to pick them now...lol

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm not familiar with the Hood pear, Bob. I'm growing a "Floridahome" pear that is about 2 years old, currently blooming, but I've not gotten any fruit from it yet.

Jeremy

(Zone 9a)

I didn't know pear trees grew in zone 9.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

My next door neighbor has an old sturdy one. They could care less. I try to get all I can. Sidney

(Zone 9a)

I may try one.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Evidently, yes, you are the only one.

;>)

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

lol...well let me suggest the hood pear tree...it's doing well here...thought a bit bent by the hurricanes

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I/m not sure of the technical name of my pear tree, but darned if I get to eat any of the plentious pears. Our neighborhood, formerly an old pecan grove keeps the squirrel population numerous, all of them seemingly agree that pears offer a delicious alternative to their diet.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

rj...om gosh...you better put some bags over some of those pears..

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Really? I never thought of that, I tried putting netting over the tree.. I think the squirrels thought it was a sitcom as a couple of them appeared to be laughing at me from the roof of the garage next to the tree. There are way too many pears to bag all of them..what do you bag them with? Good news for me, I had given up!
Rj

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

rj...as they appear to be maturing...just put a brown bag over them...it's a very old trick and works well...you'll have plenty for yourself...

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Junglebob - Our Home Depot in Crystal River had different kinds of pear trees in on Friday. The one that had me interested was a "Freedom Flowering Pear". The card sounded good. Here is what I remember --Resistant to diseases that plaque other Pears---Good to -10 degrees--drought resistant once established--fast grower--white blossoms in spring, green leaves in summer, and red/orange leaves in the fall.
Lowes had 3 different pears in also, but not this one. I decided to give one a try but I haven't been able to get back there yet. Probably all gone by now but you never know. I'll try and get out there tomorrow. Ed

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay..well that ones a new trick for me- thanks

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

ed...just make sure you don't need more than one tree for fertilization...i have only the one hood pear tree...but the first couple of years it needed another tree for fertilziation but after 2 years becomes self fertile..let us know how you do.

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Junglebob - I didn't make it to HD today. The wind was howling around here, blew over one of my eartboxes, garbage cans 200 yds away, tree branches breaking off. It was almost like a mini hurricane wind wise. So I've spent most of today doing damage control. Pounding stakes and running around with my big ball of twine, my roll of garden velcro, and a pair of scissors. All my plants made it with only a couple of minor injuries, but all in all, I came out of it pretty good.

I'm pretty sure that "Freedom Flowering Pear's" tag said it was self fertilizing the first year. If I ever get back there and there is still one available, I'll let you know. Ed

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

well the winds had gusts of 30 to 40 mph here as well..and so dry...hit 90 and we tied the record....but friday..it will barely be 70....i watched my mango trees with all the buds as they were being tossed by the winds...hoping not too much damage...we need rain badly here....we have all kinds of brush fires around...it felt like the Santa Ana's in so california

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

we were gusting in the 30's today too. horrible weather. we have an old pear tree here that came with the house. we pruned out the dead wood and fed it and last year had a ton of great pears, more than we could eat. it's flowering right now. i wish i knew the name, but they're just nice firm yellow pears and very sweet.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

trakcs...well that sounds good...suspect you could go to a floridata site and match the looks....enjoy them..

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Will look for mother's Pear relish, very good and similar yo Chow-chow.
Sidney

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

As squirrel deterrant, has anyone tried dusting the pears with cayenne pepper or spraying with a solution of cayenne? I was told by someone that would work, but I've never tried it. The cayenne does seem effective in keeping the squirrels out of bird feeders.

I think the cayenne can be washed off the pears before eating so that you don't end up with spicy Mexican pears!

Jeremy

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't know about cayenne pepper as a squirrel deterrent. I never tried it. Last fall, the squirrels decided they were going to chew away the cover on my garbage can. I emptied 1/2 bottle tabasco around the area they had gnawed and they just kept on eating away at it undeterred.

I think them tree rats just enjoyed the spicy feeling or they just don't have the T receptors on their tongues to feel the heat. I hate squirrels. Don't get me started on squirrels!

Sylvain.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

cayenne pepper is a deterent to many things...bugs....might work...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.