Look What Poped Up!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I'm going to try this again, I made it smaller. the other day I looked out and my tiny little 3 or 4 " japanise irises have poped open. I have been babying these guys along now for 3 years and I want to move them to the ponds edge. My first blooms of the season, the corcus havent even started yet. I'm sooo excited. Spring time in the Okanogan!!!!!

Thumbnail by happyoutside
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ahh yes the Japs are always the early bird. beautiful!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

SPRING! I have ones I just barely planted opening up now too; the older ones are on the wane but still so beautiful to see that bright blue break the winter blahs. Congratulations!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Happyoutside, those are very pretty, but I don't think they are considered Japanese Iris. I think they are called Reticulated Iris: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/669/index.html

I had to go look it up because I have Japanese Iris and the leaves on them are only about a foot tall right now. I was wondering why yours were already blooming if mine didn't even have buds on them yet! lol My JIs usually start blooming in early May. :-)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes, what MGH said: Iris Reticulata: because I just got a whole bagful and like a fool didn't plant them until February.

They are in bloom now- just a couple weeks later. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow of "barrel o' bulbs" which was my willy nilly planting of so many bulbs I had received as gifts in various swaps. They are really cute those little iris. I am always glad to see them: the first little blooms of spring.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the good info, I was only going by the generic tag that was in them when my hubby brought them home to me. I to have the regular ones and not hardly out yet, but keep in mind I'm in a colder area. This year I'm going to devide my big ones and put some in my pond. I may love plants and love digging in the dirt, but I'm terriable at the real name of things.LOL Oh those are my tiny blue iris, Is closer to my explanation. But I love learning. Thanks again, Debbie in the Beautiful Okanogan.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Debbie, "little blue iris" works very well for me too! I try to save tags now so I'll remember names, but they get lost and my memory has gaping expanses developing each year, so sometimes, it's "tall pink deal" or "short white creeper" when I'm naming things in the garden. The important part is that you enjoy growing whatever it is you grow.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Debbie, I agree with Annie.....the important part is that you enjoy growing whatever it is you grow. I hope I didn't offend by telling you they weren't JI. One of the reasons I joined DG was because I didn't even know what my JIs were! LOL I knew they were some kind of iris.....but I didn't even know there was such a thing as JI. One of these days I would like to get some reticulatas....I said that last year too, but forgot! Your pic has reminded me that I wanted some of those! LOL Thanks!

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Those are just lovely.

We bought this house in July, and we had some wonderful surprises pop up in the yard as well.
There are three camelia trees, white, bright pink, and light pink, and then a bunch of daffodils.
It's breathtaking, really, when I look out there.

Thumbnail by SalemSunshine
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

mgh not at all, I did join to learn. I know about the holes in the memory thing,These days it's getting hard to remember who I am.That scares me as I work in a Nurseing Home.Maybe thats why, I have been there 9 years.LOL! SalemSunshine, your bush is to die for. Wonder if they will grow over here? Poochella, sorry I used pooch the other day, after the fact I looked at it and thought hummm.I save the tags tell they get lost OR I just forgot where I put them. LOL! Debbie

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Salem what a wonderful surprise to find all those blooming beauties in a new yard. Bonus!

Debbie, my whole family calls me Pooch! I've been Poochella for so long, it's a given. I only go ballistic when people shorten it to "Poo" LOL- kidding!

I am seeing alot of dreaded Red X's where thumbnails/photos should be on all forums. This is the first time this has happened here at Dave's. Anyone else having this problem?

I will attempt to show my little blue iris- iris reticulata. I swear planted only 3 weeks ago in my attempt to get the many many bulbs I've had sitting around in the ground at last. Now, each year I say "just one more year for this whiskey barrel" so don't laugh when you see its horrid condition. I hope it will hold through the season. One year there was a beehive ? nest underneath some creeping phlox left in from a mixed planting. So many bees in and out daily. It took great courage to dig in there at all, but I believe they moved on.
Annie

Thumbnail by Poochella
So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

That barrel has a lot of character! LOL

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Pooch, that barrel would look right at home here, I love old things and anything that has a hole in in gets a plant in it.LOL! When things start to bloom I'll try and give you a short tour. Right KathyMac LOTS of charactor!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Happy outside nice! you make the spring no fun here in montana. Lucky you. I can smell the Camelias.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Character like a toothless cowpoke? The more I looked at it, the more I wish I would have planted a face in the circle with the erratic slats as teeth!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.