Lowe's Dead Shelf

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, got lucky 2 weeks in a row. Last week I picked up about 8 duranta for .50 each, 3 large pots of med size red canna for 2.00 each, 2 huge pots of yellow flax for 1.00 each and 3 pots of a purple salvia for .25 each. After 1 week of watering, they are all coming back nicely. Don't know what I'll do with 8 duranta but I can't stand to see them die for lack of water. Well, I stopped yesteday to get a pitch fork and had to stop by the dead shelf when what did I spy? 1 Gal pots of Cigar Plant (Cuphea melvillea). 15 of them. Leaves were browning but most stems still viable and new growth hidden below. Well, you can't have just 1 or 2. LOL. I took them along with my pitchfork and vermiculite to the cashier. She was alone and asked if there were any prices on them. I said no but in this condition, they are usually around a quarter. (Mind you I had on my innocent face). Well, she called for someone with an override key but by this time the line was starting to build behind me. She took one look at them and said she didn't think they were even worth a quarter and just takethem. Well, like I'm going to argue. Well after a good soaking yesterday and today, they are already looking like new plants. I'll wait a couple days till they are a bit stronger and give them a good trim. Gotta love that Lowes! Here are some pictures

Thumbnail by budgielover

Salvia and yellow flax. Yellow flax has new growth and is budding already.

Thumbnail by budgielover

Group of cuphea

Thumbnail by budgielover

Closeup of cuphea. On the left you can see some of the brown leaves but you can see all the new growth and some have blooms open since yesterday.

Thumbnail by budgielover
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Jan,

What luck for you! I lost my innocent face a long time ago. But then our Lowe's up here doesn't keep poor plants.

My luck today was to get 4 very healthy 1 gallon plants for 50 cents each. Verbena, batfaced cuphea and a couple others. Then, I forgot to tell the guy when he was doing the cc and he said take em. I do not argue.

Molly
:^)))

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

jan those cigar plants are something...lol...the lowes here always marks their reduced plants much too high and they usually aren't worth anything...i did one time buy a container of the tropical cannas for 2.00....cannas are always worth it..even if they look dead...they ALWAYS>.come back 8-))

I am obviously not smart enough for this sort of thing... who ever heard of plants for free at Lowes??? wow.....
Mind you, I pick up my share from the roadside that people throw away LOL

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

hetty....you get more than your share on the roadside....roflmbbo

Molly,
I love te batface but I have never had any luck keeping them alive for long. The cigar plants so much better for me.
Jan...

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Also a lover of Lowe's Last Legs plants shelf! I can't go to the store without checking out what may be available to rescue. Last Fall, I got about six 5 gallon pots of Spathiglottis orchids for $2 each by bargaining with the Lowe's nursery manager, and about twelve 1 gallon pots of Peacock orchids by agreeing to take them all off their hands for about $1 each.

Lowe's lured me away from being a loyal HD customer by offering their plants at discount prices, which HD doesn't seem to do.

Jeremy

I know my HD does not offer the rescue plants either.
I got nice bougainvilla in 10 in hanging baskets for $1.00 ea and oncidium orchids for $3 each last winter. Got some firebush (hamelia patens) 3 gal for .25 each. They are huge now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.