Freezing Seeds

Ogunquit, ME(Zone 5a)

I am curious how most of you store your seeds. I always keep mine in canning jarswith rubber seals, closed tightly and include a desiccant inside and keep them in aconstantly cool, dry area. Now, due to gracious traders I have
accumulated some wonderful heirloom seeds and would like to keep them as long as possible which freezing seems to be the best way from what I have read. (I'll do the same as I mentioned using the canning jars for freezer jams). When removing seeds from the freezer I know that you need to let the jar come to room temperature before opening to reduce moisture that would build up inside.

Finally to my concern/question. Can you remove the jar from the freezer a few times a year to get what you need out of it and later refreeze and not "hurt" the seeds that are placed back in the freezer? Does this thawing/re-freezing have any detrimental effect on their viability?

Melanie

I'd be very careful about freezing seeds. I know a lot of people are in favour of it, but I'd worry about possible damage to the embryo. Some seeds you can freeze in a domestic freezer safely, and some you can't. You need to be sure you're freezing one that can take it. And you need to get the moisture content exactly right before you freeze. And you need to be certain of your electricity supply - defrosting due to power failure might ruin them all. Seed banks use liquid nitrogen and monitor the freezing and defrosting process precisely, which isn't possible at home.

We've had this discussion before - do a search and see what you can find.

I keep my seeds in an envelope in a jar with kitty litter to keep out moisture. I can see where we might have to look into a second refrigerator in the garage :-) - I've read some horror stories about freezing too. But then I'm such a novice you probably wouldn't want to take my advice. I'm just telling you what I do. Good Luck!

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

Is this the previous "Seed Freezing" link?

http://davesgarden.com/showthread/24104.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.