Will Nellie make it?

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Last week, I accidentally broke off my only stem of Nellie Moser clematis. I have had it water ever since trying to root it. It shows no signs yet of rooting. Will it root in water or should I try rooting it in soil?

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Wallaby knows about this sort of thing. Why don't you Dmail her. I think she was an advocate of soil rooting, but then she was doing some cutting of leaves and all. Ask her. If you're worried about the plant itself, it will be OK, I break them off all the time. I've gotten to the point where I put up little fences to prevent accidentally doing this. I still break them, but not as often.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks beaker. I will do that.

This stem was the only one and after a week I don't see any new growth as it broke off even of the ground.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Give it some time. At least up here, Clematis are real slow in the spring. I planted a new Clematis last summer and it did nothing for over a month and then, all of a sudden just took off. If this is a new plant, it may need time to settle in. If it's an established plant, there should be a shoot coming up fairly soon.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

berrygirl, I have had good luck in dipping the stem in rooting harmone and planting it in potting soil, placing it in a large plastic bag, and have not lost a one. Good luck, hope it make it.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Update: she didn't make it. But don't worry, the plant grew back from the ground. Just hope she blooms for me this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.