Rudbeckias anyone?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Originally posted this over in the TX forum but I guess those guys just aren't into rudbeckias this year...so I'll try it here...LOL

I've decided to expand my palette of rudbeckias this year and have good seedlings (I started them from seeds) of "Goldilocks", "Hot Chocolate", and "Maya". All the seedlings are very healthy and the Goldilocks and Hot Chocolate are now in the ground...the Goldilocks already had blooms--but I don't think these first blooms will be very indicative. And I probably should cut them off. I'm real interested in the what I think are the Cherokee Sunsets? Anyone else trying any of these newer varieties? Or any of these since this is my first year with these varieties?
Debbie

This message was edited Mar 16, 2006 8:13 PM

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

HI Debbie,
I absolutely loved Cherokee Sunset - it didn't overwinter or reseed for me last year so I'll try again this year. Goldilocks is nice.
I had Autumn Colors last year. This year I will also have Chim Chimeree.
I have seen Maya and Keveldon Star, but not Hot Chocolate in catalogs.
Al

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I just winter sowed Maya.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Rudbeckias rate high in our garden and of the Rudbeckias, Cherokee Sunset rates highest. Chimchimeree runs a close second, then Prairie Sun. Seeds of Maya were just started.

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Hi Debbie,
I love Rudbeckia's and have several varieties that I start from seed. I have Indian Summer, Marmalade, Chim Chimnee, Cherokee Sunset, Irish Eyes, Chocolate Orange, Toto, Rustic Dwarf and Prairie Sun. I haven't tried Hot Chocolate so I will have to be on the lookout for that one. Last season I purchased Rudbeckia "Herbstsonne" it was fantastic!

Michelle

Wow--Thanks for the response all!

Michelle--Where did you find Chocolate orange? I'm assuming Herbstonne was a plant not from seed? I tried irish eyes last year but they did not do well for me. But I think I had them in a new bed (soil not very good there yet--combined with the heat) and will try them again; probably next year.

Al--Indian Summer is the only one I've ever gotten to be perennial here. Usually the humidity over the winter gets them. I really debated on putting this post here or in the annuals. But I assumed in most areas they were perennials.I found Hot Chocolate, believe it or not, in the Burpee's catalog.

Now I can "kick myself in the rear" for not getting Cherokee Sunset. And after getting out there yesterday, only two of the Maya made it to "potting one size bigger than plug tray size". These Hot Chocolate seedlings look good and healthy. I got them in the ground yesterday; they will be in full sun and in one of the drier areas of my garden--hope they do ok there!
Debbie

Thumbnail by dmj1218
St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Debbie,
Vesey's Seeds here in Canada have the seeds for Chocolate Orange. They also have a website in the US as well. Rud Herbstsonne I did purchase as a plant but it also can be grown from seed. If you want some in the fall let me know. They are so easy to grow by seed using the wintersowing method.

Michelle

Michelle--sure would like to swap some in the fall!

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Debbie,
No problem! Connect with me in the fall and I can send you lots of seed.

Michelle

Chesapeake Beach, MD

Those are all nice r. hirta varieties. Do you grow other rudbeckias as well? R. fulgida is a garden mainstay for me -- and certainly much more reliably perennial than r. hirta which tends to be biennial at best in my gardens. I also love some of the other less common rudbeckias like r. laciniata and r. maxima. The latter, especially, is among my current favorite plants.

Mary--actually someone sent me some seeds of r. maxima. Do you think they will require stratification to germinate? In which case, I will have to wait until next winter. Tell me about some of the others....like I say I'm "expanding" rudbeckias this year.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I also have "Irish eyes" that reseeds itself every year as well as black eyed susans that also do.

Chesapeake Beach, MD

I grew r. maxima from seed several years ago and I don't believe I did stratify the seedm but can't really recall. You might want to check a source like the NE Wildflower Guide to be sure.

Be warned that it took 2-3 years for my seed-grown r. maxima to bloom. Despite that delay, it is a very hardy and long-lived perennial and really dramatic in a border -- also very wildlife friendly which I always appreciate. The goldfinches go absolutely nuts for the seeds and bob on the sturdy stems like it was a carnival ride. Just a great plant.

R. laciniata is another great garden plant. Very long blooming, bother free and wildlife friendly. Much more tolerant of dryer soils that I expected when I first started planting it. I think there might now be some double cultivars available.

Chesapeake Beach, MD

Found a nice little summary from the Brooklyn Botanical Garden on some of the better rubeckias for gardens.

http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/plants/2003fa_rudbeckia.html

Wow! Thanks Mary--lots of info on some of the other types. Some, apparantly, are quite large....has me thinking maybe a focal point in the bag yard instead of a shrub.

Al--I'm gonna have to try irish eyes again next year, or maybe in the fall. The heat really sets in here about mid-May and any transplants smaller than a gallon (and that ends end of June-end of Sept.) have a tough time making it.

Plumas Lake, CA(Zone 8b)

Michelle,

I have been growing R. 'Herbstonne' for years, and I agree it is a fantastic plant. Here is a picture of the flowers on top of a 6 foot plant!

Cheers, Keith

Thumbnail by perennialist
St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Keith,
What a gorgeous photo! I love this Rudbeckia and I can't wait for it to spread a little more in my garden! Thanks for sharing the pic!

Michelle

What is the height on Herbstonne?

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Debbie,
From my plant tag info Herbstonne can grow upwards of 6feet. Mine were atleast that last year. This year I plan to cut them back in early spring. Where they are planted in my garden I would like them to only get about 4-5 ft tall.

Michelle

Here's some first blooms. I'm sure they aren't real indicative of the plant but I think they give a basic flower type idea in case anyone is interested in these varieties. This one is Goldilocks.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

And here is the hot chocolate...not in the best of soil. Will be looking for a herbestonne plant soon...hope the nurseries are stocking them this year down here.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Debbie,
Love the pics! I cannot believe that you have Rudbeckia blooming already. My Rudbeckia don't bloom until late July. I have sown lots of seeds so I should have a great show this year! Will post pics in August.
Michelle

(Zone 6a)

I've grown the fuzzy leaved type before but it got powdery mildew which almost killed it. It died anyway though :( Last year I tried Goldstrum and it did very well :) I love Rudbeckia's, they're so easy to grow!

Steve

Here's an update on the hot chocolate--lots of blooms on a small plant!
Debbie

Thumbnail by dmj1218
(Zone 6a)

Oh, wow! Very nice!

Steve

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Very nice Debbie.

My rudbeckia haven't been planted yet ;(

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Glad to hear someone else has grown the species Rudbeckia. This year I have started Rudbeckia maxima and Rudbeckia laciniata, which both germinate at room temperatures without stratification. I had expected them to bloom this year. Good to get the headsup that they will not. I also started Prairie Sun. What a tiny amount of seed I got on that one from T&M. But I liked it so much when I saw it in a friend's garden.

Clearly alot of the "Goldilocks" are not double...but nice and orderly growers so far...and the blooms last along time.
Debbie

This message was edited Apr 23, 2006 5:05 PM

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Here's Maya.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous! I like the last ones you posted too, their cute :D

Steve

Steve, they are getting big now...my first year...the hot chocolates are fixing to really rip. Also picked up some Cherokee sunsets at a really good plant sale...I hear they are a bit later season down here.
Debbie

(Zone 6a)

Wow, they all sound really nice. I just scrolled up and looked at the hot chocolates, Love their dark colouring.

Steve

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Has anyone grown the herbestronne variety in z4? It is huge and sculpturesque with its deeply lobed leaves and large green cones in the middle of the flowers.

I wish I had the 'real estate' for it. I think I'm going to try the rudbeckia maximus (? cabbage leaf variety?) in the fall so I have at least one of the natives.

Hot chocolate has started blooming....nice little compact plant less than 16" high--good for front of bed.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

A close up..pretty colors in the setting sun.

This message was edited May 25, 2006 7:38 PM

Thumbnail by dmj1218

And Goldilocks--a bit taller (16-20"). Nothing real unique about them but real good performers in the heat.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I started Prairie Sun from seed this year and am looking forward to bloom by July, I hope. Rudbeckia grows wild at the cottage and I'm hoping this cultivar will feel right at home. Might even survive the winter?

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

Debbie,
Your pics are gorgeous! Can't wait to try the "Hot Chocolate". I grew Prairie Sun last year from seed it bloomed very well and it returned this year.

Michelle

Michelle--got it noted in journal you want seeds! Here's a single plant "high noon heat" in Houston today.

Debbie

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.