propogating Crocosmia seed

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi friends,

I have some seed given me 2 years ago. I hope that they are viable. They have been stored at room temperature, and forgotten, but they were a kind gift and I want to start them. i have read that they won't reach flowering size for 3 years, but what the heck! Any ideas about what kind of germination to expect? Should they be soaked? Will ordinary house heat start them okay? All advice will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Peter

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't know the first thing about germinating crocosmia sds, but I would fill up some cell packs and stick one in each and keep soil wet and put in warm place and wait. If the seed is very small, then I would place on top of the dirt (assuming it needs light) and mist and cover with plastic-mist every day with really warm water to keep yr soil temps up. The fact that the seed wasn't refrigerated may not help you here, but worth a shot. Good luck!

East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

According to Thompson & Morgan Seed Company Crocosmia takes 30 -60 days to germinate. I would soak the seed in a hydrogen peroxide solution before planting. The recommended germination temp is between 55 an 60degrees F. Crocosmia seed should only be lightly covered. It needs light to germinate.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

They are easy to grow from seed - I toss my seeds into my garden at the end of the season, & most pop up the next year. They look like baby Iris, & will flower by the second or third year. Sow shallow, as detailed by frankford - I don't even cover them at all - I just scatter. I am in zone 6, so they do have a cold spell - I am not certain if they require stratification or not. If you sow them this Spring & do not get seedlings, perhaps they will sprout next year after stratifying.
Julie

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone - I should have no trouble! I have a bunch, so even if they weren't refrigerated, I should get some germination. Best wishes to all . . . .

Peter

Seattle, WA

I planted the Crocosmia seeds in the spring. They have summered in semi-shade through the summer. Now I need to know how to care for them over winter. Should I bring them back indoors, let them go dormant, and plant the corms in the spring?? Or if they are potted up or placed in the ground now should they winter over okay? I am in Seattle, Zone 7.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

You can leave them in the ground, & they will survive the Winter just fine. If you like where they are situated now, then just leave them & wait to see them next Spring. I have accidentally dug some along with my Gladiolus, & they were stored in a cool, dry location until the Spring. That also works. They are really tough plants!
Enjoy~
Julie

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

After posting on this thread, I realized that I had not seen any of my Crocosmias this season. It turns out that they are a favorite of voles. If voles make their home nearby, you may wish to dig & store them for the Winter.
Julie

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Thank heavens we dont have voles here..................... they would think it was christmas at my house!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Bad news Mark, we do have voles here! They probably wouldn't bother with your pots though.

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

We Do????????????????????? ok well thank god i have cats then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you bored tonight Janet???? LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.