Lonely Black Walnut

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I friend gave me a black walnut tree to plant, but will it ever make any nuts if it doesnt have another one nearby? I have only pecan trees here and no walnuts. Some websites say yes and some say no. Even if it don't, it will be a good shade tree.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I don't know, but you probably do know about the alleopathic nature of juglone, the substance that the black walnut secretes... planting a young one won't affect a great deal, but they get very very large. (I have three)

This site lists plants that do well near black walnuts, and others that suffer.
http://www.bachmans.com/tipsheets/Woodies/BlackWalnuts.cfm

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I planted this tree in a woodland area that is dominated by oaks. Most of the understory vegetation is invasive plants that I wouldn't care if they were gone anyways.

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

I would anticipate that it needs a pollenizer somewhere within 1/4 to 1/2 mile away - kinda like pecans. BWs *might* be self-fertile, but crops will be better if you have one or more to provide cross pollenation.
Want some seednuts to grow a companion for it? I've got some from the superior nut-producing cultivar, "Thomas Myers"(20nut/lb, thin shell, 36-40% kernel, lateral-bearing, anthracnose resistant), as well as a local native BW selection that exhibits anthracnose resistance. E-mail me if you want some.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I may just have to get rid of it. I read that it would be lethal to earthworms which I very much need.

Montgomery Co, IN(Zone 5a)

Escambiaguy, May I ask where you read that Black walnuts were lethal to earthworms? I have never heard that before and I would like to read about this. I have many Black Walnut trees, many earthworms too, or so I thought.
Thanks, Cindy

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I have scrillions of earthworms right under my black walnuts, so I'd question that source.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

If you clean walnuts in a bucket of water and pour the water on the driveway, the worms will come up and out. Do NOT pick them up for fishing. They are dying. Growing the trees will not kill the worms. I have 3 trees and my neighbor has 2 - they overhang my property.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Here's one website where I read it : http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant45.htm

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I did not know that about the horses. I've read where walnuts can be used for worming, but that was a long time ago.

It's funny that walnuts can kill earthworms, yet they eat the walnut stems every spring. All the juglone must leach out.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2006 5:33 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.