Rain needed....in Texas

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think that's the stuff that makes a funny noise on the roof at night?

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

That must be peacocks you're hearing on your roof. - if you've ever lived where the peacocks and peahens have 'naturalized' you'll know what I mean.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Hey we got rain!!!

.25 of an inch on Saturday, plus some sleet that blew and didn't get in the rain guage, then last night ONE AND A HALF INCHES!! then a little snow blew over on top of that ;-) more snow expected...

meanwhile, as of 6 PM Saturday night ALL fires were completely out, but most of the Texas Forest Service equipment is staying here a while, just in case...

luckily the TX Farm Bureau has coordianted some much needed donations of hay for livestock. the ones that weren't killed are getting awfully hungry, and ash doesn't taste well...

when i get a chance, if my OC will co-operate, i have pictures i took of the burned areas. it looks like a desert, just ash and stubble....

we now have two NOAA radios, one to leave at home and one that travels with us, and an evacuation plan. working on getting the evacuation bags packed. people i know barely got out with their lives, this fire spread so incredibly fast. 900,000 total burned, 400,000 of that in my county, and death toll stands at 11 people. i don't recall the number of cattle, tens of thousands maybe? and one ranch i know of lost 50+ head of horses. they just could not out run the fire ;-(

tf

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Burn ban in my county - too much dry & not enough rain...

Let it rain!!
Let it rain!!
Let it rain!!

Need the rain soon!! Got a little at the house Sat, but not enough to help a lot...

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

we should get more snow/rain tomorrow. but still expected to have fire conditions by the weekend, as temps go up, wind gusts increase, and humidity drops.

Yes, let it Rain!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

So glad to see the rain. Everything will come back green. Where can one help with $ for cattle feed?
Sidney

got less than a half an inch down here...we, too, are under a fire ban.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

We got a teeny bit last night and a little drizzle this morning. We are really dry.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

NWS report on the radio this morning said they expect South/Central TX to continue under drought conditions for up to the next six months. They believe it will rain, eventually, but not anytime soon in the quanitities needed to recover from the current drought.

I don't like hearing "crunch crunch crunch" when I walk through my pasture...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yikes, Tamara! I'm so glad you are all ok.

Hey, AngelSong, we were in Victoria a couple of weeks ago and I thought of you. My DH had to go down there on business on a Saturday, so the rest of us rode along and then we stopped at a city park and played for a while. It was fun. :-)

We need the rain, too, but not as much as some of the rest of you, I think.

~ Marylyn

Tamara--we got about a fourth of an inch las night--How about ya'll?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

haven't had any rain for several days. had a dusting of snow several times this week, each time promised 2-8 inches...

Sidney, the Texas Farm Bureau is the only place i can think of, or Texas Cattle Feeders. mark it Panhandle Fires March 2006

i think i will actually have to water the garden, sigh. we are under fire hazardous conditions again this weekend. will it ever end?

;-(
tf

going to have to water here too. I hear I was just south (1 mile) of the frost line...

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

*slush slush* ... Finally! I felt like running outside & doing a rain dance celebration! About an inch of rain at the house, and nearly that much here at the office.

Did everybody else in eastern/ southern TX get enough to last a while? I realize this doesn't fix the drought, but let's not complain, but focus-forward on the present rainstorms! :)

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

fires out of control today. Please pray for residents in NE Amarillo, many homes lost already. Fire headed this direction after crossing much farmland...

tf

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Tamara, I saw they got them out. You are all right, aren't you? The fires just jump over the highways... so scarey. ~Blooms

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

yes, sorry just checking in. fire again today, very close to the same location. the rain an snow we got was nice, but didn't get us out of this drought. i don't mind nature taking its course, if only people and animals and buildings and property weren't in the way.

i read today where the price of beef is expected to drop again, and they are advising farmers whose land burned to sell their stock, let the land heal, [save on feed], and buy new stock next year. problem is, some of htis is breeding stock, you can't just start over, can you?

so tired. gonna hit the hay [fire retardant LOL]

tf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.