first time ornamental veggie garden-freaking out

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

I have a 36' 16' area. It includes my gh and a few arches. I have always used rows to plant my garden. Now that I am doing a ornamental garden I just dont know what to do. I have read about them all winter, started seeds, and prepared the ground. I have come up with plans but after row planting it just overwhelms me to think about putting a squash next to a mater. All the pictures I have seen have the plants so close togather. So I have an empty slate and I am too scared to get started.lol Any advice??

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

this is the first time i have heard of an oramental garden. can you tell me more about it. thanks

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Just plunge in, lavender, and keep the Perfection Monster at bay. It'll be great, and you'll learn a lot, and I bet you'll have less bugs! I do beds, not rows, but we cram em full of flowers and vines too.

(Last year my squash crawled out of its bed and planted a foot into the tomato bed.)

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

I would love to tell you about them. they are decorative as well as functional. Most have an outside border like a fence, wall, or plants. U mix herbs, veggies, flowers, and fruit. Potager gardens use boxwood shrubs. They also have designs made from the plants. The ones I have seen and my own have benches, arbors, birdbaths, ponds, and things like that. My goal is to not just have row after row of veggies but a place to relax. I cant wait to walk through my garden picking veggies, herbs, and flowers. I plan to have a lot of plants wildlife like.
Zeppy you are so right!!!! I have a perfection problem. lol I dig up plants and move them on a regular basis. Poor plants. I think I will just DO IT and learn from my mistakes.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Sounds like the outside borders function both visually and practically as, say, a windbreak.

I would KILL for a big brick-walled garden like the Victorian kind, where you train fruit trees up on the borders and it's a perfect little microclimate. Sigh.

Would love to see pics, Lavender.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I do mixed plantings but boxwood shrubs in this part of Texas--no way. It would work better for you, in my opinion, if you used native shrubs in their place. Here's a mixed bed of antigue daylillies, Louisiana iris, 5 tomatoes, a medium sized live oak tree, cucumbers up trellis, Tx native Hinkley's yellow Columbine, and a chinese wisiteria. That's a russelia to the left and I really need to "weed-eat" my brick path today!

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.