Peach Tree

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone, my Peach tree actually has fruit. I need to know how to protect them from birds and what ever else may attack them. Is there anything special like fertilizer or something I should be giving my tree?

Phoenix, AZ

Oh! Goody!!! Never had a fruit tree, but I do know even the netting over the trees is not fool proof with the birds. I'm sure someone has had success tho :)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

K made a removable frame for our Bonanza peach tree and every year just as the peaches were getting ripe, he'd put up the frame and put the bird netting over it. Kept out most birds though there would be an occasional little one that would get in. You will definitely need protection for the fruit if you expect to have any for yourself.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info Judy. I am in awe that there is actually fruit on my tree. We have such a variety of birds out by us that I know at least a couple of them are going to be eyeballing the peach tree. Where do I get bird netting at?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

You can get rolls of varying sizes at Home Depot and probably Lowes and most garden centers. You don't have to worry until your fruit is getting ripe areas on it. Once it has pink cheeks - look out!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'd be careful with the netting, too many birds get caught up in it and die... I decided to be inventive last season and and hung those aol cd's in my tree with some yarn... the wind would blow them around and the flashing light disturbed the birds... but then I left them up too long after the season and the birds got used to them... but they were darned effective before that...
Brittany

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

We've never had much trouble with birds getting caught. What they would do is get under it and not know how to get out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.