Buddleja success?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Anyone have success with buddlejas in the Phoenix area? And do they take well to pruning to maintain compact size? I'm tempted to try one of the many varieties at Baker's, to feed the b'flies and hummers. Anyone have any other favorites for b'flies?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, I was totally just wondering the same thing! Are there certain cultivars that do better here than others?

Phoenix, AZ

I killed one once :(

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8b)

I got b***-slapped for mentioning them here so I'm-a-gonna leave it alone LOL.

I planted two woolly butterfly bushes, Buddleja marrubiifolia, a few weeks ago.... in full sun. From Baker's. Do they not do well???

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have no reason to think they do not do well. I'm just unfamiliar with them.

Phoenix, AZ

I'm with Fish Knees on this one, I too have killed one. :( It was in full sun, so I know I don't recommend that! Maybe with plenty of shade and some TLC one might do OK...

Trudi

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have to join my predecessors in saying that I killed a couple of them.
I, too have planted two whoolly butterfly bushes last summer and they are doing OK. I hope that they will become even bigger and better.
They get some shade in the afternoon and not much water.
Good luck with yours Magpied and to everybody who is willing to give it a try.

Good gardening

Rodica

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Great I planted 3 of them and two are in full sun (I put them in last fall) it sounds like one more thing to add to my garden graveyard). Inexperience you just gotta love it.

Mesa, AZ

Mine also succumbed and returned to mother earth....

Hope yours do better.

Susie

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Bugger! :-( I won't get one.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I grow three different Buddleia Davidi and tho I'm sure they'd like more water than they get, so does everything in my garden... They've all made it thru two or more years of summers over a hundred tens and winters of below freezing ... the butterflies and the hummers both love em.
~Blooms

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Bought 4 at the Master Gardener's sale. One was a "Black Knight" but can't remember the other three [lavender] cultivars. Two made it through last summer [and two did not]. They were under shade cloth on a frame, and bloomed gloriously all summer. They do like to sprawl, though. This Spring I pruned them down into a more compact shape and intend to keep tight control. Just checked, and lots of leaves, but no buds yet.

Thumbnail by Zill
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Maybe I will try the shade cloth also. I cannot remember what variety I have.

Phoenix, AZ

Zill, gorgeous pic, good to know someone has figured out success with them!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I *think* that's what is blooming at my next-door neighbor's home - it just stopped blooming? Lightly scented? Looks a lot like Zill's, but white. It's in a pretty shady area..... and although they don't get the flood irrigation, it probably sneaks a sip when I get mine.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2006 12:33 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.