My Indigenous Plants (Weeds)

Wauconda, IL

I don't know what the plant in the last photo is, but I do know it's not native. It will spread like crazy, and take over. It loves disturbed ground. It took me forever to get rid of that stuff.

The verbascum is not native, no matter what kind it is. It's naturalised, but naturalised does not mean native, or indigenous.

Native plants usually do not grow on disturbed ground, since some natives put down roots in excess of 15 feet deep, and take upwards of 5 years from seed to bloom. Natives will grow on disturbed ground if some kind soul puts them there....but then you have to worry that they may be out-competed by non-natives. Some of the more aggressive natives may come in on disturbed ground...asters, goldenrods, common milkweed. Usually, the most common plants on disturbed ground are plants of european/asian origin.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2006 7:57 PM

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here are my first thoughts:

The first one looks like a "Paw Paw", Asimina species but it's hard to tell without seeing the flowers head on.

The second looks like either the non native Abutilon theophrasti aka Velvet Leaf or possibly one of the Physalis species aka Ground Cherry

Quoted - The verbascum is not native, no matter what kind it is. It's naturalised, but naturalised does not mean native, or indigenous.

Absolutely right...there are no native Verbascum in Florida.

Wauconda, IL

There are no native Verbascum in North America. My source is:

http://plants.usda.gov/

Floridian...now that you said it, I remember it. It's velvet leaf, it will seed all over. Thanks so much for the memory jog, I have CRS.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2006 6:24 PM

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

understood dod
Molly

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Molly,
You have a nice thread going here.
It seems you are finding and transplanting a fair amount of natives.

Next time you are planning a trip down this way, give me advance notice and I will pot up some of my natives for you.

You should have my picture plant listing, if you see anything you like, just ask. The more advance time I have from you, the better.

Art

Art,

Thanks, I was looking over your list today and I see a couple things I might possibly like but I am not sure when I will be down there again.

I need to get a job.....soon.

Molly
:^)))

Hi Molly,

Sooner or later either you will show up here, or one of us will show up there. Deb and I are in the planning stages of a trip to Georgia to visit her relatives there. That would be in mid to late August. Possibly Val might be making a trip up that way too over the summer. We could easily get plants to you.

If I know the things you want, I can get them growing for you. Possibly I might have extra native's you are looking for growing in the nursery.

From what I have picked up in the threads here, your place is coming along nicely. Have you given any more thought to putting in a pool similar to mine? They are not expensive to buy, but putting them in the ground like I have done here takes a bit of work.
They are very enjoyable at the end of a hard day in the yard.

Later,

Art

Ok, that sounds good. Let me look that list over a little better and I will give you some ideas. August isn't so far away now is it?

About the pool, I keep throwing the idea back and forth. You are right the cost of the pool isn't that much, I was thinking about the cost of upkeep. Do you have a website for the company that made your pool?

Thanks, I'll email you Art.

Molly
:^))))

Hi Molly,

I am not sure of the Mfg. I purchased it from Recreational Factory Warehouse, only because I had dealt with them before and knew how to act to get what I wanted from them. The link to their page is below. It's the pool page. The model I have is the Pacifica 12 X 24 oval.
You can get them on line from dozen's of places. They probably cost around $400 to $550 plus pump and filter, which will add another $300 minimum. You are looking for as much stainless steel as possible, high quality, durable plastic top rails and a thick durable liner. Looking at the model I have is a good guide. Note how different the pool looks in their picture vs the way mine looks burried 2' into the ground.

Upkeep is not much more than vacuming weekly and good chemical control. Getting the water balanced correctly takes a few weeks, but if monitored, it's easily kept in balance. My biggest expense is chlorine. It runs me $4.00 per week during swimming season, 1/2 of that during the winter.
Once in a while I have to bring the ph back in line with acid, but that's only a cup about every month. The other expense is shocking the pool. Depending on your usage and habits in the pool, you can get away as little as once a month (me) to once a week to some people with many kids, usage. Shocking this pool requires 1/2 standard package of shock, or about 1.50 per time.
The eletricity is not a major worry, perhaps a couple of bucks per month.

Art

Thanks Art,

Did you forget the link?

Molly
:^)))

HI Molly, sure looks like I forgot that link. Well, this link is to the main pool page. Click on the Pacfica for the pool I have. They show it round, mine is the 12X24 oval. They also show it out of the ground, where mine is burried 2' into the ground.
http://www.recreationalfactorywarehouse.com/Products/Pools.html#
This is my fourth season with the pool and not a single problem with it. I did change the filter that came with it. It was a sand filter, which I felt was not as efficient as a cartrige filter system I had previously owned. Cartrige filter systems are easy to maintain and you get maximum water flow around the pool. Sand filters slow down the flow of water around the pool and cleaning them is a huge waste of water. I recommend a cartrige filter.

Art

Artcons and his DW were here on Sat, and he has ID'd the plant shown on 4/27 @ 10:45am. Looks liket his one: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/103224/index.html

Peanut Plant. We had a good laugh over this. I remember finding peanuts all over my property last fall. I thought the guy that did the minor clearing had been eating peanuts and thrown them on the grown. hahahahaha

I sure didn't know peanuts grew underground like taters. Silly me, I thought Jimmy Carter had a bunch peanut trees up in Ga.

Molly
:^))))

Cincinnati, OH

If you want real Peanut Butter, roast them grind them and add salt. If lazy go to your local African grocer and buy a jar of 'Ground Groundnuts' (sounds redundant) then add salt. Peter Pan has sugar, hydrogenated (aka crisco), gasoline extracted cottonseed and industrial rapeseed* oils *now usually called Canola.
Peanut oil is seperated and replaced with cheaper gasoline extracted industrial oils. Most peanut and olive oil is squeezed. If you search the CFR (Code of Federal Regulation) use the words 'Hexane' (Octane rating 0) and Hexane +2 (a.k.a. Octane-Octane rating 100).

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

That's why I buy fresh ground peanuts at a health food store. Smuckers peanut butter doesn't have all those additives either, just ground roasted peanuts and a trace of salt.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.