Tulips, hyacinths?

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Does anyone recognise these? They didn't bloom last year and I don't know what to do for/to them. They don't look exactly like anything I've had before. That's a few arum volunteering around the edges. TIA

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

It almosts looks like arum too. There are some in foreground that have the same veining as the arum. But let's hope not. I hope somebody knows. Joann

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

If by arum, you mean calla lilies, then I would say that's what they are. I had a seed pod from a calla that I didn't cut off and that's exactly what they looked like when they came up.

No, the ones I'm asking about are solid color... let me see if I can get a better pic. Ahh, here's one with just a few crocus near them. Brrrr, it's cold out there! LOL I'm still in my 'jammies'.

Thumbnail by KatyMac

Yep, that's what I thought you meant. They don't look anything like the older leaves. My sister had them coming up in many spots in her garden too.....turned out to be callas that seeded themselves.

Are you going to leave them in to see what they turn out to be? It will be very interesting to see.

I'm still in my jammies too.....but there's no way I'm going outside right now! LOL Brrrrrr is right!!

mgh, welll, I guess I can leave them there. The maple's roots are very close to the surface next to the trunk so maybe that's why they haven't bloomed. In the other area(s) they're coming up they are very, very thick. Could they be choking themselves? I know nothing about Callas so I'd better go surfing and get educated quickly to see if they need dividing or something.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, if they are callas, I would dig them up. I can't seem to get rid of them in my yard in a certain area. I had gotten some free ones from an empty lot before they built on it.
Well, let me tell you. They can take over and grow huge!
But the pics to me don't look like callas tho. Plus it is too early for them to be coming up anyways.
But just my 2 cents worth.
Carol

Well, all I know about callas is that I put them in the ground and they grow like crazy! LOL The big white ones are more vigorous than the colored ones, but the colored ones are the ones that reseeded themselves. I cut a few seed pods one year and dried and cleaned the seeds, but I never did plant them. I think I would go ahead and thin them out, they would probably do better.

Oh yeah, and if you plan to harvest seeds from them, wear gloves. My fingertips were numb for a day or two after I did that......maybe it's just me?

Edited to say: My callas are coming up now, Carol.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2006 8:29 AM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, really, my neighbor who kept the ones we got free doesn't have them coming up yet. So maybe it is because they aren't in the sun tho.
Hum, well, the few I have left aren't coming up either. I do have a few color ones which aren't as vigorous as you say about those darn white ones.
Well, if I find any more white ones, I am just chucking them tho.
Ok, everyone's areas are different. You are warmer in town, Mendy, I think, than me up here on the hill, hehe.

I'm still confused. I googled and the calla lily photos didn't look like these. They've been sitting there since early February, not really growing and I don't see anything I could describe as a bud. They drive me nuts! I'll try dividing/thinning this year and then if nothing, OUT.

Well, I've been wrong before, once or twice.....hahahahahahaha.

Yeah, maybe we are a bit warmer than you are Carol....I don't know. :-)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Those are not calla lilies. Maybe those are the fall crocus, colchicum. I am not sure that is spelled right.
http://www.gardenguides.com/articles/fallcrocusandcolchicum.htm
No pictures that I saw anyway but I went out and looked at a clump of the foliage on one of my plants and I think it is a match.

Ah, I know I have fall crocus but all that registered was the surprise at seeing "flowers from nowhere". LOL Here's what these things looked like mid-June. I thought they had died without blooming! BTW, I never had fall blooming crocus before either. ;~)

Thumbnail by KatyMac

It's the gnomes, Katy. They are planting things and not telling you about it. ;-)

Yippee! Yes Lenjo, that's what they are. I went through my late September pics and everywhere these things are now there were lavender crocus then. Thank you so much.... I was 'this' close to digging them up!

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

They are certainly are a bother and mess in early summer but such a sweet purple/pink surprise in the fall.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Nice pic of them.
Glad you 2 figured it out.
Good job, Joann. She knows so much, hehe!

Thanks to everyone who replied. Now that's it's figured out I feel so dumb. Duh!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

well, at least now you know.
That is why it is neat here. You can get some answers so don't feel dumb at all.
I think it is good to be able to ask questions here.
Carol

Yes, and it's a good thing she wasn't too hasty in ripping them out.......how could you though....callas are great....IMO. Sometimes you can get bad advice on here too as I did last year when I was told that my dahlias had a virus and it turned out to be a mineral deficiency. Too bad I had already ripped them out!!

Gee mgh, what would you do? To me it looked like they just grew tall, turned icky and died! I mean, after all! LOL To honor your love of callas I will plant one this year, promise. Maybe that will make a convert out of me?

;-)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Carol , you are too sweet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.