Blue-muda??

Phoenix, AZ

I have no idea how this is spelled, but this is *exactly* how the Garden Guy on Ch 3 said it - more than once. Someone had called in asking about grass for a sunny/shady area and this is what he said to get, "at any hardware store." I don't know if he meant Ace or Home Depot, but whatever he meant, I can't find any such grass seed. Anyone have a clue? Better yet, what would you plant?

Phoenix, AZ

Tomatofreak,
He may have been saying Blue MONDO Grass and I'll throw in Blue fescue. Like shade, that is they PREFER shade. Grown in little round tufts or balls. Looks cool in clusters, drifts. Bunnies LOVE IT.

Thumbnail by Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

I love that! Is it Mondo or Fescue? Will it spread or do I have to plant a tuft every place I want one?

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hey TM I found a search that worked. It's a seeded cultivar. Here is the link to the first page of hits. You can take it from there. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Blue+muda%22&btnG=Google+Search (I googled "Blue muda")

Phoenix, AZ

Mondo Grass is a darker green and is longer blades that kinda mound over....Fescue grass is truly a light blue and it makes little moundy-thatchy-tufts of thin bladed grass. Both are cute....mondo will grow to about 10 inches (at most) in height, and then it arches over like a little hair-do...and the fescue is much more compact to the ground & the blades are only a few inches long. Both love the shade or slight dappling of light.

Hope that helps. ~Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.