Where to start ?????

Middle River, MD(Zone 7a)

Quick background.... we're in Maryland and lost our home to Hurricane Isabel in September, 2003..... We tore down what was left of the existing house and rebuilt.......

Last spring/summer was our first back in the new house - and we really did more work inside than out........ I'd like to focus on getting a start on the outside this year.......

I did have a layout done by a landscape artist........ However - I don't see any clematis...... I don't know how that could have happened 'cause I've spent years suffering from "clematis envy"......... Can't imagine I didn't mention that to her.

These photos are of the street-side of our house....... I'd like to get suggestions on where to plant clematis and will also tell you what the landscape designer put on the layout.........

This is the side of our garage w/attached carport........ It faces east......... Does get some sun into the afternoon....... Right now till about 1:30PM......... Will increase as spring/summer arrive......

Starting at the right of the photo and moving toward the house...... the designer has an Alberta Spruce (on front corner)..... then 4 Skypencil Holly......... then in the middle of the side of carport - "Knockout" Rose and climbing rose..... followed by more Skypencil Holly........

I don't know that we're going to have the money to put into the landscape design - will most likely have to "pick and choose"........

I thought this would be a good spot for Clematis........ how many would you think? Where should I place? Should I combine with Roses?

Please let me know if I'm "overstepping bounds" by asking "too much".............

My most sincere thanks in advance.............. ~~ janice ~~

Thumbnail by wallis104

This side of the garage faces the south........ The two existing bushes will stay...... and my husband is going to build something "attractive" to hide the ugly oil "thingy".......

I don't know if there would be a sufficient amount of sunshine here or not...... It does spend a significant amount of time blocked from sunshine by the house.......

Thumbnail by wallis104

We are going to put vinyl lattice below the porch and steps to block those areas from view.........

This area faces north - not much sun....... I'd love some type of vines to grow on the lattice..... (Landscape design calls for "Skip Laurel" bushes up against the lattice)....

Again - thanks so much for any suggestions....... I can't tell you how much they will be appreciated.........

~~ janice ~~

LOL - neighbor doesn't always have a car parked in his yard.......... just my luck when I wanted to take a photo....... Guess I should mention that any new building on the water has to meet a certain "height above tide" FEMA specifications..... that is why house is built so high......

This message was edited Mar 11, 2006 4:13 PM

Thumbnail by wallis104
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Janice,

I thought we had a lot of damage from Hurricane Isabel, but nothing compared to having your house being destroyed! What a beautiful home that you have rebuilt!

It's important to establish the "bones" of your garden first. Conifers and shade trees should go in to get themselves established, before the heat of the Summer is upon us. Planting some annuals will give you quick color & coverage in bare spots. Roses will add beautiful color, plus their wonderful fragrant scent. Just be sure to get Roses that are highly disease resistant and will like our heat & humidity. Of course, growing Clematis through Roses is a definite plus! I wouldn't worry about perennials until the Fall. That's the best time to plant them anyway.

Here's a list of Clematis to consider that come in almost all colors of the rainbow! Plus, it will give you an idea of which to plant in the sunnier areas and ones that do better with more shade coverage.

The American Clematis Society will give you all the information that you need to know about selecting, planting & growing Clematis. It's a good place to start. http://clematis.org/home.html

These do better in partial shade or on the North side of your garden. http://stores.yahoo.com/chalkhillclematis/clematisforshade.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.