WS trays = bird feeding trays

Westerville, OH(Zone 6a)

A little Junko has discovered my WS trays and thinks they make great feeding trays. One little bird is sort of cute - I won't be so amused if all of his buddies start doing the same thing.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL... Perhaps a dish of birdseed would entice him away from the trays... I'm sure he'd rather gobble seeds than scratch & search for them.

Juncos are certainly cute! We get mobs of them around our feeders. I'd always been told that they are ground feeders, and they won't come up to the feeder for seed (wrong) or eat peanut butter (wrong) or suet (wrong)...! We have suet hanging in a little cage, and the juncos go crazy for it. They really aren't built for perching or clinging, so a junco will fly to the cage and flap like mad trying to get a grip for landing. The cage goes swinging and spinning, and the junco flaps harder! Amid all the craziness, he must manage to get enough mouthfuls of suet to make it worthwhile, because he keeps coming back for more. Cute *and* entertaining, LOL!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Yardenman-- I wonder--- are your WS trays covered? my understanding was that the birds would stay away from the covered trays but I guess not.

My juncos don't bother mine.

You must have some delicious seeds in there.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Yardenman,
You might want to watch where your little feathered friend is pooing also. You just never know what else he is eating that may end up getting into your ws containers. You may have some strange plants or nasty weeds come spring.

I don't know a lot about Juncos but if they are (sposed to be) ground feeders maybe you could put out a dish w/ food for him and once he finds it you could move it a few feet everyday until it was far enough from your ws containers that he will hopefully forget all about them.

Were you sowing Sunflowers by any chance? Otherwise I wonder if this little guy is just really hungry.

Best of luck,
Heather

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Birds love dark dirt... the darker and wetter it looks, the more likely there will be bugs or sprouts. I have to watch mine as well. (I have chickens, too, and they're a nightmare for young plants).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.