Non-invasive raspberries or blackberries

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Greetings ~ I'm looking for something that won't take over and that won't be spread by seed by birds. Is there such a thing? I can handle smaller harvests - just don't want the yard to become a jungle and don't want to spread my jungle over to the lake near us. Thanks for any info you might have.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

My cultivated Blackberries pretty much stay in place but I'm sure the birds plant the seed all over. I'm in the city so that's not a problem.
Andy P

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

I'd be interested in this also, at least as far as blackberries. I know that Brazos Blackberry is pretty invasive, spreads underground. The Kiowa is less so. So far, it has only rooted a couple of places where the branch touched the ground. And those are easily removed...plants can be given shared with others.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

LindaTX, how do you like the Kiowa's flavor? I'm looking into that variety...

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Kiowa has large sweet blackberries. I like it better than the Brazos.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I don't mind something that spreads by runners or can rootings - they are going to be in raised beds, and anything that touches down outside of the bed will touch down in sand, so hopefully will be easily removed. I just don't want something that spreads rapidly by seed as we have a lake near by and I'd hate to have it become over-run with something that birds will make invasive. This is a dumb question, but are there seedless types?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.