Really GREAT prices on planters and pots!!

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

While doing a web search for square planters after viewing this wonderful idea from TomTom--http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=582387- I found this website with very low prices! 15" square planter for $3.99!! -20"diameter round planter for $4.99!! Shipping is cheap,too! In my neck of the woods,this is fantastic pricing.Check it out..lots of different sizes.
http://www.cottagefarmsdirect.com/index.asp

This message was edited Mar 10, 2006 1:21 PM

San Diego, CA

Sorry to inform you of this, but I ordered some of their pots last year. They are about as thick as a Hefty trash bag. I also ordered their moss lined hanging baskets. All I can say is that I should have believed what I learned while growing up: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't worth it." I tried using the plastic pots, but once filled with soil, they bent all over the place. I put a banana plant in the 20" diameter pot and within a month the pot split right down the side. I bought several different sizes and they're all the same thickness. The square ones, once filled with soil and your plant, aren't square any longer. The moss baskets are made of very thin wire which was bent when I pulled them out of the box. The moss is of such a thin mess that the soil goes right through it. When I sent them 4 (count them, 4) emails regarding the planters, I received no response. I couldn't get through on the phone either. I would suggest you spend a couple of bucks more and get something that will last. Even the dollar stores have better pots than these things.

Also, check out Garden Watchdog. That will tell you quite a bit about what a poor company they are.

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh My Goodness!!! Thank You for telling me this! I will cancel my order immediately!! I thought that if I was just ordering pots,not plants,I would be safe. Shoulda remembered what my DH ALWAYS says.... "Ya Git What Ya Pay For!"

This message was edited Mar 11, 2006 4:32 PM

Hillsborough, NJ(Zone 7b)

wow.. thanks for that heads up!!!

Covington, KY(Zone 6a)

I looked at the site and while browsing through the different containers, I told myself....yeah, right! You get what you pay for. And, an investment in good containers is a must! I have some that new ones and some very old ones from the 1920's .....The old ones are still going strong. I liked the comparrison to hefty trash bags! I believe it.

San Diego, CA

It just doesn't pay to cut corners with pots if you want to keep them for a long time. I buy my plastic pots at Dixieline when they're on sale. Just picked up a few more very heavy duty 16" ones at half price for $6 each. I also bought a bunch of fiberglass 24" pots at Costco for $19.57 and that's a steal. Now here's a special tip for you, if you have an IKEA, they do half price at the end of the season (at my store anyway), and I can't believe what you get for your money. It's always unadvertised, so you have to know when to go or have an inside connection. The pot pictured is 15" x 25 1/2". Glazed and really heavy....around 50 pounds each. I got 4 of them for $20 each.

Thumbnail by chunx
Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Where did you get the one thats pictured??I've been looking for some like those..What's Dixieline a Grocery Store? TIA..

Loretta..

San Diego, CA

That pictured pot is from IKEA. Right now they're $40 each and worth it. I got them half price. Dixieline is a home improvement and lumber chain here.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Hobby Lobby is a good place when they have their sale which seems to be all the time. A huge glazed Vietnamese strawberry pot that weighs a ton for $20 was my last buy. If you want huge pots that are decorative and cheap try Sam's. 18 inch for less than $10 and 22 inch for less than $15.

Here are my Sam's pots this year - (4) 18" for begonias and (3) 22" for bamboo.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Wow I like those...Looks like I'll be hitting Sams Club,thanks for posting those..Where's the strawberry pot picture???

Loretta..

Loretta,

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post it. It's in the garage right now. For now, how about a square glazed pot from Hobby Lobby last year? It has a golden dwarf bamboo in it.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Here's my outside strawberry pot that got whacked this winter. I think somebody must've bumped it because this is its third winter outside and it's been very mild this winter. It could've been freezes that cracked it, but I'm leaning more to a hard bump.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Did you paint those??I like the color...I can't leave my glazed pots out in the winter they bust..Does your bamboo spread?I had some at my other house and it was a nightmare..I like the looks of yours tho,mine was a dark ugly green..

Loretta

No, I didn't paint those. I have several glazed pots outdoors with no problems. Clay is another matter though - a lot of them are broken or flaking. I'm sure this bamboo spreads so I'm just keeping it in a pot for the time being.

Here is a large glazed blue bowl (no drainage hole) from Hobby Lobby last year with pitcher plants in it. It sat outside all winter with no adverse effects. Dark blue is my favorite color for glazed pots.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Loretta,

Here's that Vietnamese strawberry pot plus another one (China) I picked up at Hobby Lobby last weekend.

Another good place for pots of all sizes, shapes, materials, and price is Garden Ridge.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

I like that little blue one..I have the perfect tiny sedums for those pots...We don't have a Hobby Lobby here,just Craft 2000..Maybe they will carry those..Is Garden Ridge a Store?..I saw a nice strawberry pot yesterday and they wanted $49.95 to pricey for me..

Loretta...

Garden Ridge is a chain store but maybe it's just in the south right now. It usually covers a couple of acres or more and carries arts and crafts, dishes, pots and pans, kitchen appliances, flower pots, silk flowers and plants, artwork, home furnishings, etc.

Yep, $50 for a strawberry pot is a bit much (I take it that was just the pot - no plants?).

Target and Pier 1 have some neat pots but are limited in selection and stock. They are also pricey unless they are having a clearance sale. Here's some urns I got from Target last year at a sale.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Here's an urn I got from Sam's a few years ago for $50. I got two. You can find these at Home Depot Landscape Center now for $100. Sam's doesn't repeat their pots the following years, so when they sell out, they're gone forever (or so it seems).

This is a variegated yucca in it.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

You sure are lucky on finding really neat looking planters...That last one is really nice..The planter I was talking about did not include the plants...
I see you have a beautiful rex begonia..It sure is heathy looking..Whats your trick there??I'm killing mine left and right,no matter what I do...I'm not a happy gardener with those yet I do love them...I bought 3 new ones 2 weeks ago at our flower show and now those are looking sick..Lauri Wilson sent me more the first ones she sent died...These she sent now I am just going to try to ignore..Maybe thats what they like..

Loretta...

Go to the begonia forum where there's a lot of that discussion going on. Winter (indoors) is the worst time for begonias. Either a cool location and little water will get most of them through this difficult time - or if it is a warm location, provide a lot of humidity. They are a challenge in winter that is for sure. In summertime with our humidity most thrive.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

I go there and read everything 2 or 3 times still no luck..See that one in the blue pot with the smaller leaves,on the left?What is that one?I have it and it does grow good for me,must not be a fussy plant...I love that one too,just because it grows so good and the colors are so nice...
Sorry to be such a pain and full of questions...Thanks..

Loretta..

The one in the blue pot is a bay leaf tree. The pink and silver begonia is in a clay pot and is 'Benitochiba'. It loses all its leaves in winter but comes back faithfully each year.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi. Just saw some very inexpensive planters on eBay ~ had to share!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Huge-Roll-Rim-Poly-Flower-Pot-Planter-16-Lot-of-6_W0QQitemZ7756134546QQcategoryZ20515QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck......... GREAT pictures!

xxxxx, Carrie

I thought those were in the blue pot...Thanks for the name and I'm glad you said they do loose their leaves but mine is the healthiest of the bunch..
The pots from e-bay will crack too easy as mine are wintered outside..You also have to be careful when their moved because they crack..I guess as the saying goes you get what you pay for..

Loretta..

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

oooo,carrie..check the shipping costs!!

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

I found a great place to buy pots is "Tuesday Morning". I have got some really great bargains there.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey All

I just wanted to add that I just bought a bunch of the fake stone looking pots, 20" wide and 15" deep from Sam's Club for only $9.88 each! That's a huge deal, and the 24" was only $14.88. I am going to keep getting a could every week while they still have them.

kanita

Yes, Sam's is great for large pots! I potted up 3 bamboo plants in the 22 inch pots yesterday.

Sounds like your Sam's has bigger pots for the same amount of money. (20" vs. 18" and 24" vs. 22").

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Well yeah, the shipping is high; that's where they make money these days. But, $21 for 6 12" pots seems like a bargain to me.

xxxxxxxxxxx, Carrie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

If anyone wants a lot of cheap pots, try the dollar store. I got about 6 hanging baskets (about 10 in.) for $1 each and a big pot (about 14 in diam x about 16 in tall) for $2. I'm using them to winter sow my seeds. They're not pretty, but at that price and for my purposes I don't care about that

Karen

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

I have bought five of the big pots from Sams, but the things that concerns me is that their is only one drainage hole. I use them to put the big plastic containers inside.

Petunia,

I haven't had a problem with the one drainage hole in the big pots but if you're growing succulents or something that likes great drainage, then you can easily drill extra holes since most of these pots are fiberglass. What's really bad are ceramic pots that have no drainage holes in which case I had to buy a diamond drill bit from a web site for these types of pots.

Yeah, I agree with the one hole being okay. I used the 20" for my dwarf ruby red grapefruit tree, and my dwar lemon tree. I have not had a problem so far, and its been 2 months since I planted them in there.

Has anyone noticed that Big Lots has really gone up on the prices of their pots? I saw a couple of 10" pots there for $7.99 each. Two years ago I purchased them 2 for $3.99.

kanita

San Diego, CA

Kanita - Yes, I have noticed. And they don't have as large of a selection as in the past either. It seems to me that they are just as high as Target or Home Depot. However, the coco lined hanging baskets are dirt cheap at B.L. compared to H.D. I bought quite a few and went back to get more....bingo, they were gone. Went back a week later and they had tons of them. The Fiskars loping shears at $8.88 are a real buy too. Sometimes you win at B.L, sometimes you lose.

Yes, the selection is less, and they are as expensive as HD and Target. Although, yesterday I bought a 4lb plastic tub of the Miracle Gro Rose food from Big Lots for only $3.99! I couldn't believe it, so you are absolutely right when you say sometimes you win sometimes you lose when shopping BL. I will have to grab some of those shears today.

I do get a lot of my seeds from Big Lots though. At 5 pks for $1 the price is a steal. I have never had a problem with the seeds either as they are packaged for Big Lot by Ferry Morse Seed Co. The only difference is that it doesn't have the Ferry Morse Name on the package, however, they do sell the Ferry Morse labeled seeds right next to the Big Lots brand seeds for $.99 each. Nice marketing strategy.

A lady yesterday in BL said to me, "You should get the Ferrry Morse seeds instead, that's a really good company." I told her, "Look at the back of the package of seeds I have, ...{Packaged by Ferry Morse Seed Co.}, needless to say she went back and got the five for a dollar seeds.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I got those big pots from Sam's Club too, and simply drilled four (4) extra holes in the bottom with a 3/8" drill bit. I'm a newbie and just repotted all the plants on my NEW DH's patio. There's a BOP that I almost destroyed by dividing it. Discovered an anthill in the root ball, but also discovered the BLOOM that was about to appear if I had left it alone. Anyway, I repotted it, and waited for it to perk up. Can't figure out the optimum growing conditions for it yet. I don't know what's going on. The leaves are slowly turning yellow. Am I overwatering it? Also, I'm using fertilizer for acid-lovers (Miracle Grow for Camelias). Does it like shade or sun? The patio faces east and gets bright filtered shade most of the day. any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Pilgrim

What's a BOP? Big old plant? Need more information to be of any help.

A side note on big pots. I was at Home Depot Landscape Center today and saw a terra cotta colored, huge, plastic, double walled pot. It was 44 inches in diameter and probably stood that tall. It was $199. I'd hate to move that sucker once it was full of soil, plants, and water.

hcmcdole - I bet hat planter would be gorgeous completely potted up though.

kanita

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

My guess re BOP - Bird of Paradise

Kanita,

I thought the next time I move my bamboo up, maybe that would be a perfect container. Ha ha. One thing is for sure, I'd want to think seriously about where I wanted it because once I did fill it, I doubt I'd be moving it (unless I had a forklift).

Beaker,

You're probably right on the BOP. Too many shortcuts anymore!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.