True confessions (lawn turf advice)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I know it's not politically correct, but my 11-year-old and my dogs have convinced me that part of the back yard, at least, needs to be in grass. Can anyone recommend a lawn grass type that is (1) really durable ( 2) won't wear racetrack paths in it when the dogs (25 and 15 lbs) play tag (3) resists "dog yellow spot" i.e.die-back from getting peed on and (4) doesn't need too much mowing? I've always been partial to St. Augustine but maybe there's something better. Oh, I hope you don't all tell me to plant plain old Bermuda...

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

dd, I understand you reluctance to plant bermuda, but it's pretty tough stuff and few grasses do as well here that can stand heavy traffic and not feel like your walking on knife blades. I have had St. A and Zoysia and now have bermuda. I holds up the best for me with the dog(s). However, It was already here when we bought the house. If I had put in the lawn myself I would have gone with one of the Hybrids or cultivars rather than common bermuda. The Hybrids and cultivars have a finer texture and if you pay for premium seed or Hydro seeding you will end up with a nice turf that doesn't have the weedy look that is typical of common bermuda. Here is a link that might help. As for the yellowing, there are supplements you can add to the dogs food to minimize the spotting. typicaly this is more of a problem with female dogs. The good news is with regular water the spots disapear quickly and the added nitrogen will help the grass is the long run. http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/grass.html

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thx J, a hybrid might work well - will check it out. And the dog supplement is news to me, so I appreciate you sharing this! Also the link has lots of fabulous lawn info, that has answered lots of questions. Thanks.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2006 8:57 PM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

deserteden, You might think about buffalo grass. Here's a link. I found it at High Country Gardens a couple of years ago and will probably put it in my small front yard at some point. Probably not till next spring due to other projects pushing it over.

Buffalo grass grows easily in a wide range of soil types and actually prefers heavy clay. It requires minimal mowing, little or no fertilization (depending on soil type) and forms a tight, highly weed resistant ground cover. This is a warm season grower best adapted to low rainfall regions that receive between 10” and 35” of annual precipitation at elevations below 6,500 to 7,000 ft. This grass typically uses 45 to 75% less water than Kentucky bluegrass, needing only 2” of water per month to stay green during the heat of summer! While all buffalo grass turns a soft beige color when dormant in late fall through mid-spring, Legacy® was developed to green up earlier in the spring and hold its green color longer into the fall than any other variety

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/27050.html

HTH.
Mary

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow, that would be fun - maybe I'll give it a try. I'd love to attract some buffalo to my yard! LOL!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I'd love to hear the results if you do the Buffalo Grass - lots of folks talk about it, but I haven't seen anyone (here) actually do it. A guy on the Xeriscaping forum in Texas apparently had great luck with it.

Keep us posted!

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

FWIW: When I was exasperated with the bermuda upkeep ( I have common bermuda, lots of runners, stolens, pollen and seedheads) I checked with AZ cooperative extension office. They said that pilot programs show that buffalo grass would grow well here but added that 1) It doesn't do well in high traffic areas. 2) Slow to recover from damage.3) If over watered or overfertilized it tends to be invaded and overun by all the bermuda blowing arround 4) Slow to get established. From all the information I could gather, it seemed like to high a $ cost for turf use with animals and kids. If you stop and think about it, why is it that the golf courses use bermuda culivars out here almost without exception? The buffalo grass's low water and fertilizer requirements as well as infrequent mowing should be a huge savings for them. I have never asked the question, but it seems that the issue above make it uneconomical?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

hi there... you could always try the new synthetic grasses that are out there, such as synlawn. they look and feel great. you will have to hose it down every now and then, but you'd never have to mow it or worry about yellow spots. they're also garrentied aginst fading for about 10 years. i'm currently considering it myself, since my dogs have ruined the bobsod that i layed a year and a half ago. good luck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.