x Chitalpa tashkentensis?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Anyone grow this new hybrid in the general Phoenix area? I suspect it would fry in the full desert sun in the summer and would need some protection - do any of you have any experience with this one ?

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Mountain States Wholesale (out in Litchfield Park) grows it, so I don't think it should have any problems - they recommend a protected area, but only because it can be brittle & damaged in high winds. It is recommended for low, mid and high deserts.

HTH!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thx Pagancat.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

You betcha - I still hope you'll get a response from someone who has actually grown it, that's always best....

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8b)

I have one but it's only been in a year and a half, still pretty small. Thrives in desert heat.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

DD

I live in Ahwatukee and several years ago City of Phoenix planted a lot of trees at the end of the sidewalks. There are several Chitalpas. I do not know if they are the Tashkentensis kind but by looking at the pictures from the internet I think that's what they are. I can vouch that they are doing great without a lot of water.
They lose their foliage in winter but they come back in spring and they bloom profusely.
I hope this helps.

Good gardening

Rodica

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok where do I get one? I am obssesed with anythign flowering!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

All the Chitalpas are tashkentensis. There is both a white and a pink cultivar. It's a hybrid between the desert willow and the southern Catalpa tree (they are related). Thanks for the info!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.