So, what's the secret to growing broccoli?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

We've had several plants (so far) that produce a small button about the size of a quarter, then immediately flower. How do we get bigger heads? Is it variety, or what?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Darius,
It could be variety I suppose if that variety is an old one that is unsuited to your locale.
Mainly good broccoli head production involves no stress of setting too long in the starting pots, freezing, drought, or high heat at head forming time.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Indy - what kind of temps do they like best? I, too, have had a devil of a time growing them - like not a one after 2 years of trying! Can you give us a little "briefing"??? I am determined to grow one this year...then more in years to come!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Usually buttoning occurs because the plants growth cycle is interrupted. A growing plant can be shocked when placed in cold ground after starting its growth cycle in green house conditions. Another problem is age, They are going to head when they are programmed, regardless of the size of the plant. When stressed they go into survival mode and attempt to reproduce (seed). That reminds me That when I moved to the New River Valley in '66. The local K-Mart sold plants, but gave them minimum care. I remember seeing overage, root bound broccoli and cauliflower button in thier 9 packs. Once started they have to keep going so avoid obvious stress points. It is an easy vegetable to grow, but harden them off in the spring and get them into thier permanent growing medium within 6-8 weeks

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Well, first of all, I grow hybrid varieties. For the experienced conisseur there are many other distinct types but I won' go into that.

Timing is nearly everthing in good broccoli heading. Here in my climate I set them out about April 20 ....after the coldest weather is over. Broccoli likes cool weather. Again the main thing is to avoid stress, so home grown ones are really best. ...plus control of variety.

Stress comes from setting too long in small pots that dry out quickly. Actually I raise mine in small pots, BUT I treat them well!...including a liquid plant food in the starter pots and plenty of water. I take them outside after they get going good and let them soak up sunshine and breeze which keeps them from getting spindly [THE MAIN THING].
I water them freely after transplanting and give them plant food about 2 inches away from the roots at setting time.
I raise a good crop in fall too. I plant seeds here about June 20 and set out about August1. Yes it is very hot but that doesn't hurt as the main thing is that it cools down before heading time.

Hope something here is helpful.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

That is VERY helpful. I have printed this out, so hopefully I can get it right this year!

Thank you! (And thank you Darius, for letting me hop on board!)

Any variety recommendations?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

For my climate and taste I like Triathlon best. Coronado is good as are Arcadia and Green Goliath. Some like Gypsy. Packman is a very good grower, but I like the flavor better in some others.....I like the small tight beads best as opposed to something like op Waltham 29.

If you plant an early and a late variety, you spread out the main head bearing.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine always did well until this year---when some neighborhood rodents found it this fall. Really irritated me because I "babied" those plants thru an extremely hot, dry fall. But, I guess they "moved on" because my spring crop is heading up and no sign of them! lol

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I love broccoli!!
I like the Green Goliath. A good first head and lots of side shoots. So many, in fact, that I don't plant a late crop.
Let me add that a half of a spade full of screened compost for each plant works wonders.
Andy P

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

LOL! Wouldn't you know the one I have is the Waltham???

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Darius. . .my zone is similar to yours and here I also grow 2 crops. The first is seeded in the greenhouse in August, about 3 mos. before first frost, which occurs about mid-November or there-abouts. When I move them out to harden off before planting, if I don't keep them covered w/remay or similar product, I have to watch the worms. They love broccoli too! As the days are getting progressively cooler and shorter, they grow and produce like crazy, some varieties better than others. Calabrese, Green Goliath, Minarets and Early Emerald are good producers here. Bolting is generally triggered around end of January, when we typically have a warm spell and the days are starting to lengthen noticeably. Then they think it's going to get hot and go into the survival mode. Then alas, it turns cold again, false alarm. . .but it's enough to cause them to go to seed.

The second seeding starts in Jan-Feb for the spring crop. This one lasts up into spring when the warm temps again send them into a seeding frenzy.

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

I have Atlantic Broccoli from Heirloom Seeds. Is that okay?

I didn't realize there was so much to know about Broccoli. I planted it several years ago and had a lot of Broccoli. Believe me, I didn't do anything special. Must have been beginner's luck.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I just put out Early Dividend. Anybody got an opinion of this variety ?

I've never grown it before, but it seems to be quite popular at the plant stores this year. I have grown Packman and Comet (?) and thought they were kinda strong flavored. What's your opinions ?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Early Dividend is one of my favorites, I've grown it the last 2 years, both spring and fall, and have had excellent results. Here's a picture of some of my fall crop.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I've grown Comet and Packman but I always come back to the Green Goliath.
Nice flavor and as this pic shows, lots of side shoots.
(I should have posted this pic in my last post.)
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

Thanks Everyone for your input!

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

I am making my first broccoli attempt. I ordered "small miracle" seeds, and started them. They have sprouted in 7 days! So far that's all I have LOL. I'll keep you posted though.

Btw, I have cockatiels who LOVE broccoli. My kids tolerate it, but it's really for the birds. ;)

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

LOL......lucky birds.

Thanks for the pics. They give me encouragement that it 'can' be done !

With enough pointers from you all, maybe I can do it too. :-D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.