Planting Out

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm going to plant Dianthus, Poppies, Violas (and maybe a few more) this weekend because the strong winds & frigid temps have stopped for a while. We're suppose to have temps in the 60's by this Saturday!!! (YEAH)

Anyone else planting out your "hunks" of seedlings yet?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Not yet - but I was hoping too this weekend. I still have snow on my containers, but with the weather warmer, I'm sure they will be free of it come this weekend.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Does anyone have the link on the Wintersown.org site where it tells when the seedlings are ready to plant out for best performance in the garden? http://www.wintersown.org/

I can't find any discussion from trudi_d on this....

I wonder if timing of planting out WSed seedlings has any relationship to 'Growing Degree Days' and/or Last Frost Dates and that sort of thing?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Quote from Wintersown.org

Quoting:
As your seedlings grow start widening the slits in the covers, once a week or so make the slits a little bit bigger, eventually you'll have more open areas than covered and you'll be able to transplant the seedlings into the garden because they are completely hardened off. I have put in seedlings that barely had their first set of true leaves and they thrived in the ground.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.