It's a Florida Heirloom!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I got this tiny tomato plant when the North East Chapter of Galloping Gardeners went to Maggie's Herbs back in August.
When I got ready to go to Maryland in October I dug a 4 inch deep trench and planted the whole thing on it's side. It is now 5 feet wide, 4 feet tall and sprawling ever which way.
During the cold snap it was snug as a bug in a Raulp Lauren down quilt.
It has consistantly produced some of the best tasteing morsels for months and I am getting ready to bury another branch to keep it pumping. When I returned from North Carolina last week I had about 40 ripe ones on the vine.
Here are 5 of them.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

These pictures are larger than life, here's a picture of a little one. That's a quarter and it is packed with flavor.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I will attest to rich and fully ripe taste of Sidney's tiny tomatoes! She let me eat one fresh from the vine on Sunday, and it was a real treat. If the gourmet restaurants ever caught onto these tomatoes, I think they would be a new fad! They have all the flavor of a large tomato and can be crunched in one bite without squirting seeds and juice across the room (as I have embarrassingly had happen when biting into a cherry tomato in a salad).

Thanks for the beautiful yellow flowered Cape Honeysuckle, parsley plant, and unknown viner/ground cover, Sidney. Now what must I do to cajole a cutting of your heirloom tomato? I am amazed you have kept the tomato plant producing from summer to winter to spring!

Jeremy

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney, any chance of snagging some seeds or a cutting??? Karen

You both will get some. Karen I will bring some to the RU at Corkys on the 25th if I'm able to come. It is very hard for me to predict where I'll be even tomorrow as I am a Boilermaker and this is work season for us.
Just waiting on the Hall to call.
Sidney

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

"During the cold snap it was snug as a bug in a Raulp Lauren down quilt. "

:: snerk ::

Good one, Sidney!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.