Pruning Raspberries

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

With the warm fall we had here last year, many of my primocanes fruited very late in the season (November). I don't have the variety with me now, but they are not the ever-bearing type. Should I prune these out or is there a chance they will flower this summer? It looks like I won't have much of a crop this year if they won't flower this year, but should I leave them to supply energy to the roots to make more primocanes? Kinda disappointing since this would be my 3rd growing season and I was finally waiting for a good sized crop.

Thumbnail by willis_mckenna
Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is another pic of the bed. Notice how they almost all have fruit.

Thumbnail by willis_mckenna
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

willis,

My prediction is that your plants will be normal for summer fruiting. When they begin to leaf out, I would clip the tips off. I have had black raspberries to procuce a cluster of fruit on the new canes. These berries are often the best of all!

Your plants look a little like my everberry gold ones that fruited last fall and will fruit again in June.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I will definitely give that a try as it might be my best shot at any fruit this summer. I meant to get the variety names last night but forgot. They are all summer fruiting red raspberries. I have K 816 & Nova for sure. The other one I think is Latham. They fruited last Oct/Nov and never ripened before heavy frosts got them. These were all primocanes last year, as I cut most of the canes down that bore fruit in the summer after fruiting. Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.