Why is it

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

That my Confederate jasmine looks better on the wrong side of the fence than it does on the inside???? I walked around the outside of the fence(this side faces direct west) and smelled the jasmine before I saw it. It is just starting to bloom on the inside and isn't this full. I couldn't believe how pretty it was on the "wrong" side of the fence!

Thumbnail by Calalily
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

lol My Honeysuckle is always nicer on the wrong side too.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I understand, I had the same thing happen to my MG's last year, very disappointing, guess that sun just wasn't on the right side of the fence enough to pull them your way?
By the way, I have one brug seedling from you up now, so far more to come :-)
Lea

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Susie, there is apparently more light on that side of the fence. Just grab the whole mass, flip it over to the 'right' side of the fence, and keep after it.

The fence is on the west side of the property so yes, it is much warmer on that side and the vine likes it. I can't flip it over, it's grown all thru the fence!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Well, Suzie, cut it back, pull it back thru the fence, and train it where you want it - when cut back, it will come back twice as strong! You could put up landscape fabric or plastic to keep it from going back thru the fence.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Because it can Cala! lol

That's what I figured!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I have the same type of fence and the same problem with everything from clematis to roses. I was happy with my clematis until one day when I saw the other side and realized that my neighbors side had 3x the blooms. My fence runs N-S, so one side faces East and the other West. Both sides get 1/2 day of sun. My answer is this: the vine seeks to cover BOTH sides of the fence - to have it all. Because the OTHER side is the NEWEST side, it gets the newest growth and the most flowers.

Although I probably won't get a chance to do it until winter, I am planning to buy a roll of window screen material - the vinyl type, not metal - and staple it on my side of the fence to prevent the vines from going through the fence. I plan to cut it to fit from post to post. I figure it won't be very obtrusive esp when covered with vines. Of course, as I have not tried it yet, I don't know how well it works.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.