Another....

Thumbnail by creadman
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

My goodness you have been busy.

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

Still more, but didn't take pictures of them. lol

Linda :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

What a great collection you've got started! Those little seedlings are so cute.... :-)

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you, I'm having fun! Can't wait for Spring.

Linda

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I've started marigolds (several varieties), tomatoes, african daisies, crocosmia, globe amaranth, echinacea, dutchman's pipe, bells of ireland, and a couple of other things. I've got sprouts on about half. Just waiting for a little bit warmer night temps so I can get them out into the cold frame. This is my first time for doing this, so I hope I end up with at least a few things! My biggest worry is damping off.

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

The things that are doing good for me so far are, Zinnias, sweet peas, Hyacinth bean vine, and everything else is being really slow or got burnt when my husband put them out on a cold day the other day :(

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I wintersowed most things, but I did indoor sow a few tomato and pepper seeds. They have germinated and I plan on putting them out with Wall-o-Waters protecting them this weekend, weather permitting. http://www.gardeners.com/Red-Tomato-Teepees/default/34-952.prd

Arlington, TX(Zone 7b)

I also had so much fun sowing and watching the seeds geminated and became baby plants BUT!!!

What do I do after that??? I meant, i was so excited to see the first set of leaves and then, NOTHING. They slowly die off after that. What did I do wrong??

What should we do after the first set of leaves?? How long do we wait? Please help me!!!!!!!!!

ed

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I must admit that is why I like 'wintersowing' - no damping off......

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

As Anita mentioned above, there is no "damping off" with wintersowing. If you sow your seeds indoors and grow them under lights or in a sunny window, they can get "damping off", which is a fungal disease. Grow your seeds outdoors and you won't have that problem. However, do be mindful not to put them directly in the hot sun as it will dry out your seeds and soil. A location that gets morning sun is preferable.

Camp Hill, PA

Just curious when the forum speaks of Winter Sowing; Are you planting seeds in the ground or in pots and exposing everything to the elements or is WS premised on using a cold frame.

Also about what month do you Winter seed - interested in trying impatiens, marigolds, sweet peas

Thanks

Scott

Scott: This website will give you all the information you will need to be successful with Winter Sowing. http://www.wintersown.org

Personally, I start wintersowing on December 21st - Winter Soltice.

Marigolds & Sweet Peas will do great with wintersowing. Impatients will not. Best to start Impatients indoors under grow lights.

Also, read through this thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/599007/ It will give you lots of great tips and comments.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Scott, I started in January. I tried impatiens and although a few germinated, I wouldn't do them again. It's easier for me to just go buy the 2 flats that I normally plant of them. Seeds that I loved the results from include lavatera, phacelia, morning glory and california poppy. I sowed others as well, but these just stood out for me. For some reason Shirley, my marigolds didn't do anything. I'll try them again next year.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Your marigolds didn't do anything??!! I plant marigolds here every year and they thrive under my neglect!! LOL I plant them and water them really good til they are really established then I quit watering them and you would never know the difference. If I keep watering them regularly they still do just fine. I can't kill them!!

Anita: I think that Marigolds "thrive on neglect". I think they prefer lean soil with few amendments, just like Nasturiums which I planted & promptly forgot about them. They are now covered in blooms. I think Pepper23 is right. Just water and they'll be happy. I didn't wintersow Marigolds. I think I ran of out time with sowing to many perennials.

Arlington, TX(Zone 7b)

what about oriental poppies? Can we ws them too?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm sure you are right everyone [about the marigolds] - I'll try them again next year.

Poppies are great candidates for wintersowing!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Which are the easiest poppies? I've never had any luck with them. Are any perennial?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I had wonderful success with California Poppies - I got them at Thompson and Morgan as well as Value seed. They are not the same as regular poppies as they bloom all summer long and are an annual. I will find out if they re-seed on their own.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Anita, oh my yes, CA poppies definitley re-seed. Lots! At least here on the west coast. But they are easy to ID and easy to pull up when they encroach where they're not wanted. Cheerful things aren't they? I love all the poppies.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I've not done poppies yet. Looks like I need to do that this winter and next spring!

Oh, wait, yes I did sow some poppy seeds out in the garden this spring, but nothing came of them. I guess maybe it wasn't good seed?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I love them! I like them better than the Oriental Poppies. As much as the Oriental Poppies have beautiful flowers, they only last for a short period of time. I've already ordered more varieties of the California Poppy.

You're right, Anita. Oriental Poppies only bloom for a short period of time. Wish they lasted longer. I'll give California Poppies a try in '07.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.