Conifers: What are you growing? Part II

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

The first thread was getting pretty long, so I thought I would start a second thread.

The first thread is here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/578349/

Mike

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Equil--Rich's has potted material, so you will be ok. If you DO want B&B, get over there early so they can dig it for you as they don't really dig material and have it sit above ground. You kinda pick what you want and they dig it up.

kandlmidd--No, no grafting here. I plant them around the shady outskirts of my property as a screen, give away some to neighbors, etc. They grow slowly here--some day I will have a screen, and then some day after that I, or more likely the next generation, will have an overgrown mess!

Found you all!

I don't really want large B&B, I've been burned on those too many times. If they are small enough to fit in my ghetto cruiser without having to duct tape my MIL to the trunk of the car to get her and what I buy home, I'm sold. I am definitely going to go over there with my MIL because I've got my eye on a few things they have in their inventory so I can guarantee I won't walk our empty handed. All the better if they will dig up smaller plants for me!

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Rich's is awesome. My daughter loves it every time we go. She has been there probably 3 times in her 1st year. They have coolest frogs in town. Downtown Woodstock is cool too.

Thumbnail by willis_mckenna

Oh my! Do they sell those cute little sprouts over there too? I always wanted one of those types of little female sprouty things. Why Kevin, you definitely were holding out on me! I've got my checkbook! I'm ready.

Eau Claire, WI

What a cutie (the baby, not the frogs)! My "baby" turned 23 this past September...how I miss the good old days. I'm afraid the wear of winter is making me melancholy.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Hmmm - - - I much prefer frogs!
Guy the Curmudgeon

PS: Did everyone see Terry's plea on the first thread for ratings on these nurseries?

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Rich, unlike Guy the Curmudgeon, liked her too. I can't wait to bring her this spring now that she points at everything she wants. How could I say no to her when she points at the spruce and the beech and the maple. I'll make sure my wife sees her sad face when I say we can't always get everything we want.

Equil, they have a website with prices and sizes

http://www.richsfoxwillowpines.com/default.htm

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Willi Mc, We see what you're growing. The nicest conifer on the thread! Ken

Quoting:
How could I say no to her when she points at the spruce and the beech and the maple. I'll make sure my wife sees her sad face when I say we can't always get everything we want.
Hey willis, gimme that baby! I need to go plant shopping with my husband and he's a baby freak like my Dad and he would roll right over and let her have anything her fat little chubby finger pointed at. I'm a Mom and I am desensitized to sad faces wanting everything from candy bars at grocery checkouts to kittens and puppies but my husband isn't! My husband is weak and I could use your daughter as a secret weapon!

Let me let you in on a little secret willis, the Curmudgeon is a mush. Put a baby anything in his arms and he'd get even mushier.

Hey Guy, I saw what Terry wrote but I have not purchased anything from them- yet. I'll comment after I purchase.

Back to the scheduled programming. Before anyone (Dax) asks if I bought Bob Fincham's grafting video... I didn't. I went to his site and had my VISA in hand and was ready to do what we women do best and then my heart sunk when I read that he didn't take credit cards. I have to admit that I am lazy and will get around to writing out a check and posting it sooner or later but it will probably be later.

I spotted some nice Pinus unknownacus way back on my neighbor's property. I pointed out his trees in the distance and asked if I could have a few pieces from his whatever they are. He said no problem Now should be an ideal time of year to take a cutting. What kind of a cutting should I take? Straight, mallet, or heel? I read the grafting instructions written by Dax but they don't necessarily address cuttings. What type of a rooting hormone should I use? What type of a medium should I start them in? Should I remove needles? How far into the medium should I put them? Do I need heat or is a nice southern window fine?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Evil, Pinus unknownacus is as difficult to root from cuttings as any other Pinus species. I think you really need to graft it.

And as for that "mush" comment, maybe, but those babies better have four legs and no diapers! (or it's even better if they have cotyledons instead of legs . . . ) The quickest thing I get when confronted with a human infant is: OUT OF THE WAY! They scare me! (How are you supposed to hold them, anyway -- by one foot or both?)
;-)

Guy S.

Awww, silly you... with human infants you go for the "all extremity" man hold. Then you swing them around and let centrifugual force do its thing and shrieks of laughter come out of them (if they are really young like around 11-12 months other things come out of them too). When they're a little bit older, they beg you to "do it again". Don't ask me why but all babies like to be swung around. The faster and higher the better. I watched my husband do it with one of ours all the time. I had to walk away. I knew he had a good grip but I just couldn't watch.

Pinus unknownacus may be hard to root but I'm going to take a walk on the wild side and try it anyway. I so love to fall flat on my face and aside from that, I didn't send out a check for the grafting video yet.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Her legs looked pretty similar to cotyledons in the ultrasounds (had to look up cotyledons). My wife does the roughhouse stuff with the baby at least. She'll be the first kid on the block to speak Latin. I better work on my pronunciation so there aren’t 2 generations butchering plant names.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
Her legs looked pretty similar to cotyledons in the ultrasounds

Then maybe there's hope for me after all. I've always been phobic of baby humans, but baby plants are just dandy!

And regarding the Latin pronunciations, don't worry about it -- no two plant-people can agree completely anyway! I was talking with someone in Italy about maples, and he pronounced the genus "Ah-tchur" while I was saying "Ay-ser"!

Just spell them correctly, and try to keep up with the ridiculous changes that come along as nomenclature continues to be used as a pawn by ego-driven professors for their own deification. (Everybody has to have his/her name in the attribution behind a plant name, even if the change is absurd.) Sort of like the alphabet-soup cultivar names used in conjunction with trade names to protect plant patent rights after they expire. People oughta be sent to Gitmo for some of those contrivances they come up with! Don't get me started . . . . . .

Guy S.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi Juy,

Quoting:
I was talking with someone in Italy about maples, and he pronounced the genus "Ah-tchur" while I was saying "Ay-ser"!

And I say "Ak-air" - 'c' is always hard in Latin!

(compare e.g. acrid, from the same root, meaning 'sharp')

Rezin

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Looks like I'll just teach her May-pull. I just can't bring myself to call it Ak-air.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I've said aye-sir now too many times to change now. I'd probably hurt myself if I tried to say Ak-air. But I'll try not to giggle like a schoolboy if I hear someone else pronounce it that way.

Scott

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Sounds like a cat throwing up a hairball. May pull for me too.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

No, Ken, that would be pronounced "qwerr-kuss" with a little hacking at the end.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

If that cat is puking, its not from any hairball.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

So why wouldn't "Acer" be pronounced like "Acre" (an area of land) if the C is hard? It wouldn't be the first time two words sounded alike but had different meanings.
Thanks,
Mike

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

'c' is always hard in Latin!

Those Veni Vidi Vici folks would tend to disagree, as would Caesar, and my teacher, Fr. Hindelang

Kevin(who had 3 years of Latin in high school)

Caesar is pronounced "Kaiser", just like the German emperors - the Germanic languages preserved Latin pronunciation much better than the romance languages did (because they learnt Latin as a foreign language, so it wasn't subject to pronunciation shifts with time)

Veni Vidi Vici - 'v' in Latin was pronounced 'w' (compare 'wine' with Latin 'vinum'), so that was pronounced 'Weni Widi Wiki' (or, as one humourist put it, Julius Caesar was saying the Ancient Gauls were "weeny, weedy and weaky"). Must admit though, I find it very hard to remember to say 'Wiburnum' or 'Witis winifera'.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2006 4:19 PM

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Wiburnum Valley, that's another one to add to Leftwood's Handy Dictionary of Terms. It opens up a whole other world of name debasing. Love it!

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

And thanks for the latin lesson, Resin. I so enjoy language, in almost every sense.

Should've spotted this . . . !

Quoting:
my teacher, Fr. ...

That means he was teaching church Latin (which is basically mediaeval Italian), not classical Latin as used by Cicero, Julius Caesar, Virgil, etc

Resin

...pronounced by fellow heathens as "Kick-er-oh", "Who-lee-uss Ky-zurr", and "Furr-jull"?

Thanks Leftvood; nov my German-born vife vill hawe ewen more fun trying to enunciate this teutonic tongue tvister.

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

What was that movie where the "Teutonic" gal sang
"I'm Tired", ....

that was one of the best.
singing happily......"I'm tired, tired of being admired.....
tired of being inspired"....

I think her name vas "lily von stupp".
LOLOL
sheri

ViggljPav:

Are you remembering Young Frankenstein? I think that was Madeline Kahn singing.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

It was Blazing Saddles.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

These seedlings are from a 50+ year old Golden Platycladus growing at my folks. I'd say 25% of them have golden color at least to start. I wonder if the color will hold. You can definitely see that some are green.

Dax

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by conifers
Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by conifers

Wow! Lots of babies! Congratulations!

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Pretty interesting, huh?

I kept 100 and still have another 100 but need the space for other stuff.

See ya Equil,

Dax

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

My list is short but I'd love to expand. I would love to hear from anyone in a steamy east coast zone 7b to see what conifers that they are having success with.

Cryptomeria japonica 'Gyoku Ryu'
Cryptomeria japonica 'Globosa nana'
Chamaecyparis thyoides 'Webb Gold'
Chamaecyparis thyoides 'Glauca Pendula'

Shari

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I just looked at my pictures again. I think they're all from the same angle.

Oops!

Dax

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.