Planter Boxes, Trellis, Vines

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

The Planter Boxes are in! - And Trellis, see post from today, below.

You can see an edge of the Patio in the foreground. You can also see the "view" under the stairs I am trying to screen. These are my new planter boxes, cast stone, weighing in at under 400 pounds for the 3 of them. They are 42", and 2 15" ones. They had one 72" planter box, but it weighed 700 pounds! We could have had them load it into the van, but how to get it out? :-D So we opted for these 3.

The Patio is 4.5" higher than the cement floor behind it, under the stairs. So hubby placed them on concrete bricks. They overlap the patio tiles by a few inches. It turns out that if you butt them together side by side, they total more than 72", because the lions' and cherubs' noses stick out! So Hubby had to chisel off 2 of the lions' noses so that they would fit. Also, by raising the 2 lion boxes, the nose features fit into the divots between the cherubs. Also, it looks kind of nice. I may place "pot feet" under these 2 lion boxes on the patio side, so they do not appear to be floating. What do you think?

Next, hubby will build us a custom trellis. His idea sounds really nice.

After that, I will plant vines. I have decided on Trachelospermum Jasminoides (Star Jasmine) after careful research and consideration of everyones' ideas on this forum. Thank you! I'm excited. I'll post photo updates each week or so.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2006 10:11 AM

This message was edited Apr 6, 2006 10:14 AM

Thumbnail by SCoveney
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

That looks so nice. They must be incredible in person. I can't wait to see your unique trellis, too.

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow, pretty!

Hi Kell, and Hibiscus,

They do look very nice in person. I will post the next photo when hubby builds the trellis, probably in a couple of weeks. Then, I'll post plant photos, if/when I get them purchased and planted.

Thank you for your interest.

Take care, you two.

...S

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I will be watching. I love them!

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi,
I love the planters very elegant. I can't wait to see pictures of the trellis and plants.

The Trellis is In!!

Hubby designed and built this trellis. I stained it, sanded it, and re-stained it, and he installed it last night. Beautiful, no?

I hope to plant the vines soon, and will post a pic when it's all planted. I have 3 Trachelospermum Jasminoides vines (Star Jasmine) waiting to go in, and 7 Lamium plants of 3 varieties (dead nettle?).

:-D

Thumbnail by SCoveney
Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

Its very pretty!!! Cant wait to see it with the plants in the planters...

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

That looks great, Coveney!! That fits the space perfectly! I wish I could fast-forward and see the "after" picture already. =)

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Beautiful yes ! Perfect for your spot. Can't wait to see it planted.
Linda

OK, it was dry last night, so I planted it then. Here's a pic from this morning...

I hope the vines do their twining thing. I think the Lamium looks nice, too.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. :-D

Thumbnail by SCoveney
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

It looks just great. Such a nice trellis too! I bet the vines climb up there fast.

I didn't realize you were in San Francisco. I was just there yesterday at the Arboretum and the Conservatory. I just love it there.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

love the trellis. My hubby is creative like that too

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, I love the trellis that your husband made! What a great man you have. The whole set up - pots, trellis, plants - is a great addition to that area. Walking up those stairs will really be a treat when that fills in and starts blooming.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

What a great looking grouping. You are really going to enjoy that. The trellis is beautiful. I like trellises with class and this whole thing is really classy.

OK, 2 of the 3 Star Jasmine vines have been blooming for some time, now. The third one has buds, see pictures, attached.

I am so stoked! :-)

Thumbnail by SCoveney

And a vertical shot...

Thumbnail by SCoveney
Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

That looks really nice! I'm impressed.

I want to get started in woodworking at some point, and trellises are on the list. Your hubby's talented.

Thank you, Hibiscus, JltBaw, Gardening_In_GA, WifeyGirl, Kell, WoodSpirit1, Sweezel, Brugie, and White_Hydrangia!

:-D

Looks great, you are inspiring me to screen the area under my sunroom. Will the vines in the pots return next year?

Crystal

Yes. My plan is that they will grow forever. If they are annuals, this is not in my plan! :-P

I will have to see how they behave over winter, but reading indicates some leaves will turn red - nice interest. I don't believe the plants will die. I may have to cut them back if they get freaky.

Hmmm.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

what kind of light do you get there....

lovely what you have done.....i am considering jasmine....is star jasmine the same as confederate jasmine??

Hi Sticks n Stones,

I get a lot of shade, as it is on the north side of my house, close to the house, with the photos being taken with the photographer facing west.

Yes, star jasmine is the same as confederate jasmine: http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/trac_jas.cfm

Have fun!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

my area is shady too....but yours sure doesn't look too shady...mine is way shady but i might have to try ...your results look fab!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.