My photo's in the paper - wonderful week

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Yes, I've made it into the papers! Not the nationals, but a local paper. Not storytelling but my drumming.
http://archive.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/2006/2/25/219123.html

http://3276.e-printphoto.co.uk/thisisthenortheast/index.cfm?z=z&CFID=3942694&CFTOKEN=95269971&y=y&p_id=2352551&c_id=6695&action=view

That was from a gig we did in February. I'm with the Tees Valley World Drummers there. We were helping to provide music for the service at a local church.

I've had a terrific week songwise. I sang "Loving Hannah" on Monday at the Stockton F.C. I still have to have words close at hand for my first attempts, but am able to manage without them after that. My song went very well. The organiser of the folk club said afterwards that it was "a cracking song" and said I was to "stick at it".

On Thursday I sang at the Cutty Wren. Again just one song, but it was one that the club organiser had asked me to repeat. It went really, really well. As I sang it I could hear all these beautiful voices as the audience sang the chorus along with me. Awe-inspiring! The organiser said "Well sung!" after it, and the MC said "Well done!"

Then on Friday I sang again, a different song, this time at Guisborough. Again it went well and I could all these lovely voices singing the chorus back to me!!

Just wonderful!!!

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

You sound to be having a lovely time.

I'm just learning the djembe too. It is extremely therapeutic rhythmically banging a drum with lots of other people. I am easily distracted though when we are playing different parts and tend to drift into whatever part is the most dominant. I've always been one to do my own thing, so it is quite a novelty to try to stick to what we are all supposed to be doing.

My friend and I were told off at an aerobics class a few years ago when we just couldn't coordinate with everyone else's movements and always seemed to be one step behind, or going the opposite way to the rest of the class. They were very serious about it - all dressed in fluorescent lycra - the ones that go up the bum. And we just collapsed in hysterics at the back.

You are lucky to be in an area with a lively music scene. Good luck with the singing and all your other interests.
Pat

Hello Pat! Yes, I find the djembe very soothing, very therapeutic. At first my circle just did unison drumming, but now we have been divided into parts. Great fun!

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

You're hitting the big time at last...things really seem to be going well for you now. The singing seems to be taking off ,as well it seems as the music...good on you.

Do you still do the story-telling?

Yes indeed, though I'm concentrating on my singing at the moment. It was very important to get it restarted again. I had a lovely, kind message from the American folk-singer Jean Ritchie this morning. I had posted a thread on a folk song forum to check that my song material wasn't in any danger of being cliched material. One of the songs I sing is called "Loving Hannah". Here's Jean Ritchie's message to me.

"Northerner, I'm happy to hear that you're singing one of our old family songs (Ritchie family of Kentucky), "Lovin' Hannah." I took this song back to the 'Olde Country' in 1952 when I was awarded a Fulbright scholarship to spend a school-year in England, Scotland and Ireland, tracing the sources of our Kentucky family ballads and songs. It was a wonderful year, and my new husband and I met hundreds of traditional singers and heard thousands of songs! The "folk revival" hadn't begun yet, or was just about to begin...everyone wanted to hear songs from the USA, and loved the stories of our mountain family life. I did programs in London on the earliest TV (sometimes, fog filled the studio); David Attenborough did one of his first TV shows just with my doing family stories and songs of Kentucky. He told me recently that was the first time BBC had allowed him to do a TV show all on his own.

I sang "Lovin Hannah" for Jeannie Robertson in Scotland and for Elizabeth Cronin in Cork- they were two whom we visited and exchanged songs with. Before leaving, I recorded for HMV six songs on those small vinyls, and "Lovin Hannah" was one of the six. So, over the years, the song has spread all around again. Sandy and Caroline Paton, somewhere in the 60s or so, "collected" it from Jeannie Robertson. They asked where it came from; she replied, "Well I learnt that one from a wee record by Jeannie Ritchie!" They were astounded- thinking it had come from her own family.

A few years ago (maybe 1996 or so) we went to a Mary Black concert and were invited to a pub for drinks afterward with her party. I told her about, "Lovin Hannah" being our family song and asked where she had it from...she said something like, "Oh, my brother had it from an old lady down the street from him..."

Well- that's a story of how the old music goes back and forth across the oceans; you may tell it to your audiences if you like!

Joy and blessings to you, Jean Ritchie"

I have written to a local primary school to see if they can use me as a volunteer in their classes. If they can use me I will build up my repertoire for children, and use my experience at the school to help promote me professionally. Currently waiting to hear from the school.

I am also in the process of organising some jaunts to help me progress with my storytelling. First jaunt is end of the month. I will go up to the north-east of Scotland to visit a cousin there. On my way I will stop off in Aberdeen. I will be calling in at the storytelling fesitval there and will see my friend Stanley who is performing at it. By the most wonderful coincidence Jean Ritchie, see above, taught "Loving Hannah" to Stanley's aunt. That's the folk tradition in process. Stanley has offered to introduce me to his friends among the travelling folk - I'm thrilled to pieces about that!! It's a real honour.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Diane, I am just so thrilled to hear what you have been doing!. This is surely the life you were meant to lead. You have many talents that would have been wasted at the Uni, and I am pleased that you are getting better and better each time you perform, plus getting more self confident in all you do! (Jaunt time? Spring is here!) Doris

Hello there Doris! Haven't seen you for a while!

Jaunt time, yes indeed! I've not long returned from a visit to see my cousin up in the north-east of Scotland, plus a couple of nights in Aberdeen seeing my old friend Stanley performing. This week I'm up to Edinburgh for a couple of nights for a storytelling workshop.

My own progress in performing goes slowly but surely. I perform occasionally with the drumming circle and although it doesn't help me directly with my storytelling it gives me some experience in performing in a group setting. It is unlikely to last in the long-term though as my other performing interests as a soloist take precedence.

At the folk clubs I tell stories occasionally and also sing. Going there tonight in fact - hope to sing a couple of songs.

I'm also starting volunteer work soon with a nursery. I will be telling stories to the children. This is good news indeed as most of the paid storytelling work is with children. Woo hoo!!!!

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, I've been gone a bit, been in the hospital for 2 weeks beginning of Feb. Had pneumonia, chest xray showed spot on lung, which turned out ok, but in the testing found blood clot in other leg. Meantime someone came to draw blood from artery in arm, hit a nerve which paralyzed entire arm. Besides all this, I was taken down to have filter put in chest to keep blood clots from reaching heart or lungs. I refused surgery on arm which had filled up with blood because I was on coumadin to keep my blood thin, so I had this huge purplish black arm that I couldn't move. It started getting better on its own, then I was shipped to a nursing home for rehab for a little over a month. I'm having therapy at home now.
The first thing I did upon coming home was to go into this site to see what you have been doing. I know you would'nt dare go on a jaunt without me! I was so pleased to hear your news and especially being able to work with children. Take care of yourself and keep well. Hugs, Doris

Hello Doris! I'm so sorry to hear you've been ill. What a time of it you've had! I hope you're recovering now. Take care!

Diane

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.