Some Clematis Photos

Pinon Hills, CA

Conifer, loved your pics! Thanks for sharing them. Can you tell us what variety of lavender is in the pic "a favorite photo of mine . . ."?

Di

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Conifer when you run out off stuff to do your WELCOME in my yard anyday..I also agree with your mom,remember mama knows best..!! ;o)))
Can you tell me what are the best longest blooming clematis,ones that bloom Spring til Fall??

Loretta...

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Di,
The pinks: Lavandula angustifolia 'Jean Davis'
The darker purples: " " 'Hidcote'
The ligher purples: " " 'Munstead'

I have 64 'Czech's (seed grown) already in deep 3" pots that will be fully rooted in a month or month and a half and I'll throw some of those back in the landscape this year. And today I transplanted 48 'Hidcote' into cells and those too, I'm going to add back in.

Thanks.

Hi Loretta,
Check out this link:
http://www.silverstarvinery.com/default.asp

This girl has a real nice demeanor about her and describes her plants well.

I'm a newbie, sorry! Other than what I already wrote:(((I think the (viticella) clematis' are fantastic long period bloomers. And that blue Clematis up there, it blooms like a son of a gun too ('Rhapsody'):)))

"I'm not the Clematis guy you people are making me out to be..." Sorry!

How about that 'Silberlocke' Korean Fir as Shirley emailed me and said.....'Can you imagine your conifers underplanted with clematis?'... This one would be fantastic with a fushia pink twining around it. So I guess I have room for not 50 more, but 75!

Regards!

Dax

Thanks Dax..I might just try ordering that blue one from her..You might not claim to be the clematis guy but YOU sure know what your doing...Another question here what kind of fertilizer do you use?

Loretta...

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Again Loretta,

I have such wonderful soil here (It's unlike anywhere in the world for the most part) that I can't remember the last time I fertilized other than spreading very heavy amounts of Corn Gluten Meal to try and control weeds. I have in the past (not very often) thrown some rhododendron food at my Azaleas and Rhodies, but that's about it, really.

When I first moved in this home in 2001, I rototilled bags of Peat Humus, and compost and organic fertilizer and whatever I could purchase for cheap in broken bags. I probably tilled 4" of organics into the already good soil and I tilled down as deep as I could with a real heavy duty machine. I'm sure that the tilIing alone has done wonders. Rarely do I fertilize my lawn but when I do I use Some Organic Fertilizer in heavy amounts (It breaks down slow) and some always heads into at least the fenced-in beds. I can't remember the name of the fertilizer, but it has a picture of a globe of the earth on it.

I just love plants. I've smelled, touched, analized, read about, stared at them for hours, memorized names, carried that Sunset Garden Book at my side for two years and read it cover to cover a minimum of 10 times. Moving to Oregon after college and seeing the conifers and rhododendrons and gardens galore, the passion flowers growing up a two story home and 20 feet wide and even growing in the rooms of my friends house and also traveling from the peak of her home again a minimum of 50 feet, well.........I became a fanatic! All I've ever done since then, which was Spring of 1998, is read, read, read and 99% of my reading for the past three years or so has been strictly conifers. Thank god my mother is in charge of the interlibrary loan department at the local college I graduated from. I've kept her extremely busy over the years getting my hands on books from all over the world. I plan someday to write a book on hobbyist grafting, really.

You know, you could each Fall simply do like I did in the beginning of preparing my own beds, and shop all the K-Mart's and the like and bargain with them for anything organic. Spread it over your beds and let the Fall, Winter, and Spring weather wash it in. That's what my boss and good friend at the Oregon Nursery I worked for used to do. Heck, he never did anything else and I'd seen him at times put so much organic matter on his beds that it was over half a foot tall and come the end of Winter, the ground was level again. Then, it kind of rains a bit where I was, Portland! I don't know... I don't do squat, but my mother always says, 'a good garden is one that is watered often.' She and I both know that a lot of people simply don't water. Well, I do! And so does she!

I wish I knew what else to say! I'm really basic here. If I go to someone elses house who has clay as solid as concrete to plant for them, I take the extra time to dig many, many times wider, work some organics into it (I just like Peat Humus for some reason), not a lot,.....pound a pole through the hardpan if I think I should so the darn thing will drain....you know, just do what you know needs to be done for somthing to survive.

I've also worked for various hort. companies and must have visited a few thousand landscapes and have seen some amazing gardens. Conifers are my most favorite of course. Well, I'm cutting this one off.
I don't like when I ramble and am noticing that's what this has become.

Stress those plants! They like it!!!

~Dax

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I sent this to JamesCO this morning as we were talking about stressing plants. It's a good quick read I had obviously read before but had forgotten about it.

Dax

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Fragile%20roots.pdf

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

You have an amazing collection of beautiful trees and shrubs! Luv the pictures!
:) Donna

Thanks for the info Dax...You sure know what your doing everything looks great..!!

Loretta...

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks again. I'm sure you guys have lovely gardens as well.

Cheers!

Dax

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.