Moisture Retaining Tips

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I just read a tip for retaining moisture in your outdoor plants. Put your potted container inside a larger pot that has been lined with damp moss. I've also been seeing potting soil that contains those moisture retentive crystals and have been wondering how effective they are.

Do you have any tips to share about retaining moisture in your summer pots? Would love to get everyones input on this.

Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

Put a "Mulch" on the surface of your pots. Things such as pebbles, glass beads, seashells, bark, etc also adds a nice decor touch!

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I used that three-way soil last year and liked it a lot. This year I bought my own crystals and am adding them to everything. So far, so good. Where I live is so hot in the summer that you have to have a good mulch on just about anything or they get fried.

Gothenburg, NE(Zone 5a)

Hi,
I use a cheap brand of disposable diapers, this works great for me.

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Buy pots with those water resevoirs on the bottom. WalMart carries inexpensive versions of these. Also can get window box versions. The water retentive crystals work great for me! I'd highly recommend them. Be careful to follow package directions exactly how much to add to size pot you are using -- too many is not a good thing! Or you can expand them in water first and then add to planting soil if you have trouble with putting too much. Mulch on top is keeps down the weeds too.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

You will find that plants perform better in container soils that require frequent watering and the accompanying need to fertilize more frequently.

Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.