Seed starting question...

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Hello there,

On Sunday, I am planning my first attempt at heirloom tomato seed starting using the jiffy pellet greenhouses. My table is set up with shop lights, a fan for air as needed and I have one question for you. I know what I want to do once I get seedlings, but I don't know how many seeds to put in each pellet? None of my packages say how many seeds to use and none of the tomato forum links I researched reference any seed amounts. I am guessing maybe 2 or 3 seeds per pellet? How many seeds do you recommend for starting up?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Megan

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

My DH uses two seeds per pellet. Has done that for years, he does the veggies and I do the flowers. LOL

Susan
=^..^=

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Thank you susan~~

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

At least 2 . put in different spots on pellet . I start 3 [ 6 seeds ] to 6 [ 12 seeds ] of each variaty . I can always give extra's away .
right now -
2 early variaties
2 med variaties
3 late variaties
a red rear , yellow tear and a sweet 100

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Oh okay, so if I am reading it right, you are saying that if I start between 3 to 6 seeds per pellet, I might get a few seedlings in each pellet which would require me to transplant each of them to separate pots? I'm sorry to ask, I'm just nervous and trying to make sure I do a good job.

Thanks.

Megan

East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

If you don't already use hydrogen peroxide solution to soak the seeds I highly recommend it. I referring to the solution so frequently talked about on Daves garden website.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

lafko, have you used the peat pellets before? I just wanted to tell you that there is a netting over the pellet, so after adding the water to hydrate them, you will have to rip the netting to get the seed in the peat. Then after germination, you will have to separate them and pot them up. I have found the pellets are not easy to work with, as you try to break them apart to separate the seedlings. I tried them last year as an experiment, and truthfully, I prefer the potting mix over the peat.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Well, I wasn't totally accurate. Iwent and asked DH the exact instructions. He said he uses 2 or 3 seeds, usually 3. Then if he wants to save more than one, he cuts the pellet in two and puts the seedling in it and then soaks it so as it expands it holds the seedling. The pellet is then put into a peat pot with potting soil and grown for awhile then finally is put into a gallon milk carton and hardened off outside.

Then when time to put in the garden, he cuts the bottom off of the carton, splits the carton down the sides, places the whole thing in the garden and then pulls out the sides of the carton so the dirt doesn't fly apart.

I hope my description makes sense. We have wonderful tomatoes every year, so we must be doing something right. LOL I can over 120 pints every year and we eat fresh tomatoes all the time. Love those maters....

Susan
=^..^=

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the great information.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.