Our Veggie Gardens

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

We are anxious to see these guys grow up. Now that I have more than a 100 square foot patch of dirt to grow veggies in we are trying to do it all.

Right now the cold weather crops of onions, taters, broccoli, cabbage, lettuce snap peas, carrots, squash and zukes.

Although we bought 2 Husky Cherry mater plants, and they are doing very well, Darius started a flat of seeds. Now that the pump house is virtually finished they can stay under lights and a fan to get some growth.

First, we have a row of lettuce, romaine and buttercrunch. Oops, see the lone bell pepper plant there in the front?

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Next, are the jalapeno and caynne peppers with some cukes thrown in the front of the line. Behind that in the trenches are the leeks.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Here's the sugar snap peas. They get the dog fence to grow up on.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

The whole area up here is at the top of a slight incline leading down into my back yard.

When we came here we had a bulldozer come in and knocked down everything except the larger trees. He had a "chipper" that broke the wood sown into manageable pieces, but not mulch size.

I've been raking the wood bits into lengthwise rows to let them compost out. They also help to keep the rainwater from running downhill. Better for the veggies here.

And didn't I forget to tell you we have yellow squash, zukes, carrots and arugula? And onions.

My doggies back yard is to the left. My neighbors horse pasture is to the right.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Today, I need to get the rake out and clear some more ground for the rest of our seeds. This pic is taken from the other end of that area.

We need to get the rest of the cold weather seeds planted before it gets too hot.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

When the power company came on Dec. 22 to put the poles and lines up, they got stuck in our sand and dirt here. They churned and trenched with their big tires.

We decided this was a perfect place to plant potatoes since the ground was already mounded and soft.

After we put the taters in, we staked the area and put blue tape on them to keep the power company from coming back and driving over this area.

You can see the taters have finally put out some green growth. I can't imagine why we decided to grow taters. We rarely eat them!!!! But it's sure fun and a new learning experience.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's some lettuce from mine--everything else is going in this weekend--I'll post some picks soon.

Great pics--give us more!

not sure how this will look--didn't get home til after dark last Friday night! lol

This message was edited Mar 4, 2006 5:25 AM

Thumbnail by dmj1218

dmj, your lettuce look great! How old are they? What did you do to make the look so good?

Molly
:^)))

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Two words for you both.

ZONE ENVY!

My ground is frozen with snow on it :(
I look forward to watching your gardens grow, till sometime in May when i can put mine in.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Today we added strawberry and escarole (plants). More seeds to come.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Don't have ZONE ENVY... everything here will cook while your gardens are growing strong!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5a)

I'm with you, Tom. I keep looking at everyone's pictures and reading their post's. I'm so envious also. I keep telling myself that spring will be here soon enough. We don't have much of a yard but I plan to get rolling as soon as the weather permits. Everyone's gardens look so great. Maybe, just maybe, I can get mine to look good too.

Darius, I'll probably end-up cookin mine too. I'm on the road alot (truckdriver), so my plants usually go a couple of days without water. Since the mother-in-law is living with us now there should be no reason things wont get watered. I just hope they stay alive this summer.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

They were planted about Jan 10th Molly---maybe its the "guardian of the lettuce" that makes them look so good...lol...me and my "goofy" yard art!
Debbie

Here's some tomatoes amongst the sweet peas and a rangoon creeper to the right which looks rather pitiful this time of year.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.