I know better!!

Phoenix, AZ

I just couldn't help it! I was @ Berridges today and they had Hostas! 1 pleaded with me to take it...what was I supposed to do? I'm going to keep this one in a pot and see if I can keep the slugs and potato bugs away ;)

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ooohhh, I don't suppose it had a name, did it?

Phoenix, AZ

"shade fanfare"

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained... and such a cute little bugger! Does it already show signs of a spectacular public display in the shade?

Phoenix, AZ

I had some a year ago, they actually did quite well, total shade. Until one day the potato bug convention moved in and they were toast in 1 day :(

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sweet little ol' potato bugs ravaged them? Amazing how much I have to learn. How do you keep potato bugs away? Do they crawl up pots?

Phoenix, AZ

TucsonJen, I have 4 ponds and a rather tropical yard (I'm in denial) So all shady ares in my yard stay pretty moist, which means lots of Potato bugs & slugs. Any tender plants are gourmet treats for them :( They don't seem to be able to climb up pots tho.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love your zone denial! We have potato bug in the grass - my kids love to play with them - but (apparently fortunately!) there are no delicious plants nearby. I'm glad your new hosta is pot-protected!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I had no clue potato bugs attacked plants. I planted a hosta under my tree (bare root from wal-mart) it is starting to
emerge now. Anyway to protect it from those guys? That is if my blavk thumb does not kill it first! I am in total denial also about being here in the desert.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I know how you feel Fish_knees. I went to Baker on Wednesday and they had hostas. It took all the will power I had to leave them there.
I have one in a pot for some years now and I managed to have it bloom twice last year. I do not have potato bugs but I have lots of slugs and snails(and the darn birds do not do anything about them, but they eat my oxalis buls). I bought copper tape and I taped it around the top of the pot so no evil creatures with get to them.
Mine sits in the pot under a screen and it gets filtered sun around noon for just about an hour.
Good luck and

Good gardening

Rodica

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks for the info on the copper tape!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I can finally post a picture of my hosta.

Good gardening

http://community.webshots.com/photo/546692927/2508097130084834090JLkGyJ
Rodica

Thumbnail by RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I can finally post a picture of my hosta.

Good gardening

Rodica

Thumbnail by RODICAP
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh Barb you're such a softie when it comes to buying plants that "plead" for you to take them home:-).

Blessings,
Awanda

Phoenix, AZ

Nice bloom! I didn't know they bloomed, I just loved the foliage color.

Phoenix, AZ

Good for you! (Hi by the way...I'm new to the forum...my name is Kim) Anyway, I am also an avid "if it's not supposed to grow here, I'm going to try it" gardener *hehe*. I used to work at Berridge (in fact, I was department manager/purchaser for the veggie, herb and small perennials dept)...and believe it or not, I've had my hostas successfully come back for the past 4 years. They may not be as magnificent and enormous as they might grow in other states, but boy are they gratifying!

I'm adding a pic from a year or two ago...not the greatest shot, (they were just coming back) but you can see at least one hosta in the pic, maybe two..

Thumbnail by GothicGarden
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Kim! Glad you like the forum, hope to see you around here often.

You said you ordered pennywort in your email-watch out for that stuff...it get's out and there's no stoppping it!

Lynn

P.S. do you have the names of the hostas you have? I have a few that I would like to trade for or find cheaply

Phoenix, AZ

Lynn..I have the hosta names written down, but until they come back this year, I'm not sure if they'll be big enough to divide. I might be begging for some from a wholesaler though, so if I accomplish that feat, I'll let you know!

~Kim

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Bakers had some in yesterday and they are getting more in next week. I am going back for one next week.

Phoenix, AZ

Fish Knees,
How is the hosta doing? I'm going to check in with you every now and then to ask if its alive and or thriving.

Phoenix, AZ

It's very happy with a big old grin on it's little Hosta face :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.